Magic puppet on display

Discussions of new films, books, television shows, and media indirectly related to magic and magicians. For example, there may be a book on mnemonics or theatrical technique we should know or at least know about.

Postby Guest » 08/29/06 02:27 PM

"Fats," the infamous puppet from the frightening 1978 film Magic with Anthony Hopkins, Ann Margret and Burgess Meredith, is currently on display at Fantasma in NYC.

The puppet was made by Disney, but the company didn't want to be associated with such a scary and weird film. One person on IMDB claimed,

"Television will not touch putting this on TV for the sheer reason of the face of the puppet, it is too visually scary for children. You may see this on cable TV but never network TV."

I happen to agree.

Postby Richard Kaufman » 08/29/06 04:29 PM

Disney did not make "MAGIC." It was produced by Joseph E. Levine's Avco-Embassy Films.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine
Richard Kaufman

Postby Guest » 08/29/06 06:36 PM

Thanks for the correction Richard.

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » 08/29/06 06:39 PM

Not sure if they still play with it, but after Roger brought it in and before they put it in the case, he sat it on a chair near David Roth's counter and worked the remote control to turn the head and such. I haven't seen the movie, but that was creepy enough.

Fantasma also has a nice collection of original Houdini material on display, including his sub trunk. Unfortunately, just above that, a cheesy "Houdini" manequin drops out of the ceiling and "escapes" from a straight jacket. But the real Houdini stuff is cool.

-Jim
Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Guest » 08/29/06 06:44 PM

Actually, Richard, I said that Disney made the puppet, not the movie.

It's the creepiest movie prop I've seen since I saw one of the Linda Blair Exorcist dummies at the Museum of the Moving Image in Queens.

Postby Richard Kaufman » 08/29/06 06:58 PM

I don't think Disney made the vent figure, either. It was carved by a well known figure maker, but don't think he worked for Disney. Can't recall the name.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine
Richard Kaufman

Postby Guest » 08/29/06 07:30 PM

Dennis Alwood created the figure of Fats.

Figure is modeled after the McElroy Brothers style with a mix of Anthony Hopkins

Postby Guest » 08/30/06 05:43 AM

Ok, thanks for straightening that out. That's what I get for not checking out my source. In any case, it's a must see if you're in NYC.

Postby Guest » 08/30/06 11:08 AM

Disney is the name of the guy who came up with an amusement park and some people who went to the park went to the movie as well, that is the connection.
Steve V

Postby Amos McCormick » 08/30/06 12:16 PM

"too visually scary for children"
...Heck, it's too visually scary for me! What made that film so frightening to me is never being really sure if it was real or in his mind.
Amos McCormick

Postby Guest » 08/30/06 08:06 PM

Originally posted by Steve V':
Disney is the name of the guy who came up with an amusement park and some people who went to the park went to the movie as well, that is the connection.
Steve V
??

Postby Guest » 08/30/06 11:54 PM

I'm trying to find the puppet to Disney connection Steve.
Steve V

Postby Guest » 09/12/06 01:58 PM

There is a half hour documentary entitled "Fats & Friends" on the most recent DVD version of Magic. Dennis Alwood shows off all of Fat's animations and movements and does a great Anthony Hopkins/Fats voice.

Chilling really.

Return to Alternative Media