Crossing over (to the other side of the pond)

Discussions of new films, books, television shows, and media indirectly related to magic and magicians. For example, there may be a book on mnemonics or theatrical technique we should know or at least know about.

Postby Guest » 04/11/06 05:51 PM

High Spirits with Shirley Ghostman on BBC America, (Fridays at 8 and midnight CDT, re-airs on Tuesdays at 10PM CDT) is a don't miss kind of show in a terribly uncomfortable (and yet wickedly funny) vein.

If you "love" John Edward and all he has done for the world, you'll dig Shirley Ghostman, the UK's answer to the whole "talking with the dead" phenomenon.

Check it out.

Postby Guest » 04/12/06 01:25 PM

Although I am a big fan of much British comedy, and I truly despise John Edward, I found this show to be the most godawful load of rubbish I have ever seen.

Is the BBC actively seeking out bad comics and worse actors, just so they can help people?

Postby Guest » 04/12/06 02:18 PM

I think this one suffers from the forty minute format more than others do; in my opinion, they could get one solidly good show out of two and a half to three of the regular ones, but I find the concept pretty funny, and I thought the shorts were stronger than the "cold reading" parts. It does suffer, though, from that "goes on a bit long" thing.

I didn't like "The Office" at first though, either, largely for the same reasons. Shirley Ghostman though, is perfect for a DVR -- you can skip ahead when you need to, and if you really hate it, there is great satisfaction in confirming a delete . :D

Return to Alternative Media