HBO's CARNIVÀLE

Discussions of new films, books, television shows, and media indirectly related to magic and magicians. For example, there may be a book on mnemonics or theatrical technique we should know or at least know about.

Postby Dustin Stinett » 09/13/03 06:51 PM

So, is anyone else here looking forward to the debut of HBO's Carnivle? (Sunday 9-14 at 9PM EST.) I have been since I first heard of it. CNN's reviewer warns that it requires the full attention of the viewer, but that just makes it more intriguing to me. How often (especially in this day and age) can we say that a TV show challenges our intellect--besides Jeopardy that is?

Here is a blurb from HBO's site:

1934. The Dust Bowl. The last great age of magic. In a time of titanic sandstorms, drought and pestilence - all signs of God's fury and harbingers of the Apocalypse - the final conflict between good and evil is about to begin. The battle will take place in the Heartland of an empire called America. And when it is over, man will forever trade away wonder for reason.

...CARNIVLE follows a traveling carnival as it wends its way across the Dust Bowl, focusing on a mysterious young fugitive with hidden talents who is taken in by the carnival, and on the charismatic, shadowy evangelist who will ultimately cross his path.
I'm in! Check out the site here:

http://www.hbo.com/carnivale/about/index.shtml

Dustin
Dustin Stinett

Postby Richard Kaufman » 09/13/03 08:42 PM

Too bad I'm too cheap to pay for HBO!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine
Richard Kaufman

Return to Alternative Media