Alias, Erich Weiss, and Magic

Discussions of new films, books, television shows, and media indirectly related to magic and magicians. For example, there may be a book on mnemonics or theatrical technique we should know or at least know about.

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » 01/13/05 12:19 PM

Anyone here watch Alias? After last night's episode, I've been wondering if J.J. Abrams, Greg Grunberg, or someone associated with the show has a magic connection.

For those who aren't aware, Greg Grunberg's character on the show is named "Eric Weiss". One episode in a previous season had him doing a quick coin vanish as he was explaining the fact that he had the same name as Houdini.

Then, last night, while he's hitting on one of the women in the show, he's talking about going to the Magic Castle with her. He's surprised to find out that she actually wants to go.

So, does anyone know if there's some connection here? Or is it just a neat bit of trivia for us crazy magic folk?

-Jim
Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Richard Kaufman » 01/13/05 01:40 PM

The show's creator has been a long time magic fan.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine
Richard Kaufman

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » 01/13/05 02:13 PM

Nice. Yet another reason why J.J. Abrams rocks.

-Jim
Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby David Scollnik » 04/21/05 08:25 AM

I recently noticed that there are (by my count) 52 cuts / flashes of Jennifer Garner during the opening credits for this season's episodes of Alias. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

This reminds me of Vernon's story from the Revelations tapes, when he says that he learned 52 tricks with string as a young boy, one for each card.

I wonder if J.J. Abrams was thinking along the same lines.
David Scollnik

Return to Alternative Media