Who Might This Be?

Discussions of new films, books, television shows, and media indirectly related to magic and magicians. For example, there may be a book on mnemonics or theatrical technique we should know or at least know about.

Postby David Moore » 07/19/04 06:36 AM

From Monday's New York Times Dear Diary Column.

Dear Diary
By JOE ROGERS

DEAR DIARY:

Experience is a great teacher, and this California-based octogenarian learned a memorable lesson on a New York subway train more than five decades ago.

Visiting New York, I boarded a subway car in Midtown, heading uptown to a technical meeting at Columbia University. I struck up a conversation with a man sitting next to me, and he informed me that he was the official house magician at the Waldorf-Astoria hotel. This unusually interesting revelation to an out-of-towner resulted in a lively conversation between us, terminated only many minutes later when he stood up to exit the car at a stop just before mine.

As he approached the door, he suddenly wheeled around and handed me my wallet and wristwatch. I had felt absolutely no physical contact whatsoever during the entire ride, but his warm and wise smile taught me what he must have generously thought I needed to know.

Emery Rogers
David Moore

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » 07/19/04 07:15 AM

Well, Steve Cohen's in the Waldorf Astoria now. I have no idea who, if anyone, was there 50 years ago.

In any case, pickpocketing a stranger on the subway is just asking for trouble, whether or not you give it back.

-Jim
Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Steve Cohen » 07/19/04 10:40 AM

Dr. Sidney Ross used to be the house magician at the Waldorf-Astoria over 50 years ago. He was probably the magician described in the NY Times article. Harry Lorayne told me stories about watching Dr Ross perform in [censored] Alley restaurant close to 60 years ago - you can read about it in Apocalypse.

My show at the Waldorf-Astoria will be celebrating its three year anniversary in September. If you're in the NY area, please introduce yourself after the show.
Steve Cohen
http://www.chambermagic.com

Visit my blog:
http://blog.chambermagic.com
Steve Cohen

Return to Alternative Media