Gangster aces by Dai Vernon?

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.

Postby Guest » 10/12/07 10:32 AM

Have you already heard of a routine by Dai Vernon called Gangster aces?
Do you know where such a routine is described?

Postby Philippe Billot » 10/13/07 02:30 AM

To my knowledge, it's the french translation for Aces to Order by Dai Vernon.
You can find this trick in Vernon Chronicles, Vol. 2, page 27. 1988

What I want to know is : WHEN Vernon created this version (and WHERE he published it first) because the translation in french is from the Seventies.
Philippe Billot

Postby Guest » 10/13/07 11:32 PM

Thank you Philippe for this clue.
I will investigate and come back to you.
By the way, aren't the tricks described in Chronicles unpublished before tricks collected by Bruce Cervon?

Postby Guest » 11/21/07 02:51 PM

Hi Philippe,
I think that the Gangster Aces never was a Vernon's trick. Dominique Duvivier told me that when he published the trick back in the 70's, he thought it was a Vernon's trick. In fact, the plot of a detective who investigates to find the four aces can be find in Henry Christ's Fabulous ace routine described by Cliff Green in Professional Card Magic 1961. By the way, in Chronicles vol 2, Minch says that Mr. Vernon was inspired by Mr.Christ's trick to create "Aces to Order" but the two trick are quite different.

Postby Guest » 12/16/07 01:09 PM

There is a routine in Once Upon a Time that uses a Vernon plot to reveal the Aces with a series of one-handed cuts. It's called "The Man with the Golden Arm."

Vernon called it "Cutting the Aces." Page 27 of Stars of Magic. It is probably a different routine, though.

Return to Reference Room