The Pass (again)

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.

Postby Guest » 01/25/04 08:13 AM

I've been on and off this forum a couple of years and have read all the preceding posts regarding the pass. My purpose here is not to start another argument about the merits of using or not using the thing but rather to express my frustration about not being able to learn it in the first place.

I have Richard's tape, I've actually seen him do it (inspirational but intimidating at the same time) and I've read just about everything I can find online and in a lot of books on the subject.

I'm trying to learn the classic pass - why? Because I want to! I may never use it but to amuse myself in a closet but I want to learn to do it.

My problems is I can do it in slow motion but I have the following self diagnosed problems with it:

I seem to get too much noise as the packets "scrape" as they slide over each other.

I just can't develop speed - or nothing like the speed of the good passes I have seen on video or Richard's in person (and he complained he was off having not practiced much at the time).

Maybe I am just doomed to never being able to do the thing but I open this thread to seek encouragement if not some real good advice.

I know its hard to tell what is wrong in print but what the heck.

Is it sort of like a golf swing - you can't really tell what you are doing wrong but you sure can feel when you are doing it right?

Thanks.

Postby Richard Kaufman » 01/25/04 12:24 PM

Richard, I can say with certainty that if your packets are scraping against one another you are holding the deck too tightly.
Call me at the Genii office and if you're willing to drive in from Reston to DC, you can buy me lunch and I'll help you make some progress.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine
Richard Kaufman

Return to Reference Room