Emerson & West

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.

Postby Guest » 01/05/04 01:24 PM

Has anyone ever heard of a series of packet tricks by Emerson & West ? I can't find them on any magic supply sites.

-Squeed

Postby timbrown » 01/05/04 02:14 PM

Emerson and West put out a whole lot of packet tricks over the years - some great and some not so great. At one time I had mastered "Flipped Out Fours" and "Sympathetic Cards" and performed them so often that I had would wear out the cards on a regular basis. The actual cards that came with the Emerson and West packets were pretty crappy anyway so I made my own from Bicycles and colored mylar film. Like any packet trick that is dependent upon counts and turnovers you had to practice these often lest your memory fail you during performance. I still get a kick out of a dealer who, when asked to demo a particular trick will turn around to "secretly" make sure that the packet is in the right order. Really kills the "magical" part of it!

I don't know of a specific "series" - the effects that I had were stand-alone separate effects.

If you keep your eyes open (and always remember to ask) you can often find these packet tricks in magic shops that have been around for a while.

Good Luck!
timbrown

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » 01/05/04 02:55 PM

There is a series of six videotapes (with the appropriate gimmicked cards) "Best of Emerson and West Packet Tricks" that was distributed by Fun Inc. and should be available through most magic shops. Each tape consists of a performance and explanation of 4 or so tricks.
Of course they will be remebered forever in magic for originally marketing "Color Monte".
Tom Dobrowolski

Postby luigimar » 01/13/04 03:45 PM

In 1997 I went to the TAOM convention in TEXAS and met Mr Emerson himself. I think he lives somewhere in Texas (Fort Worth? probably our friends in Texas have his contact info) and you could try to get in touch with him and ask directly from the source. Two years ago he was the President of TAOM and hosted the convention. Check out www.taom.org for more info.

luigimar
luigimar
luigimar

Postby gfajuri » 01/14/04 07:21 AM

Hello,

Indeed, FUN Inc., the company I work for, produced a six-volume video series of some of Emerson and West's packet tricks. We now own the rights to most of the Emerson & West line, including Color Monte.

The videos feature Dan Harlan teaching two tricks on each tape, written instructions (including the original E&W instructions) and all the necessary cards to perform the tricks. All for $15.00 retail per volume. Talk about a bargain! Most any magic shop should be able to order them for you.

Regards,

Gabe Fajuri
gfajuri

Postby Guest » 01/14/04 08:31 PM

Emerson and West were very prolific producers of "Packet Effects" among them as was mentioned above was the hottest selling one of all time, Color Monte.
I have almost all if not all of the Emerson & West line as well as most of Nick Trost's line, another prolific packet trick producer. Unfortunatley Larry West past away a few years ago but Arthur Emerson I believe still occasionally shows up at conventions and he is a true gentleman and great demonstrator of his line of tricks. I am sure someone knows how to contact him.If you are interested in packet tricks purchase the book "Small but Deadly" by Paul Hallas, it will answer any questions you may have regarding packets and their inventors.
Good luck,
Rennie

Postby Nicholas Carifo » 01/15/04 12:00 AM

I love Emerson and West packet tricks, especially color monte, i keep it in the car wherever i go "just in case".

Two of my favorite "packet" tricks tho are not E&W, but were designed and routined by Doc Daugherty of Pittsburgh, PA (not the DD of the Wash DC area)

Ever hear of Doc's tricks:

Psi-Flexion: one of the best visual mental nail-bending effects I have seen over the years.

and

Mirroraculous: A packet card trick that ends with all cards turning to mirrors. Not to be confused with another similar effect called "mirror miracle". I believe Mirraculous is superior.

Gotta dig that out again.

Nicholas Carifo
Nicholas Carifo

Postby Nicholas Carifo » 01/15/04 12:01 AM

I love Emerson and West packet tricks, especially color monte, i keep it in the car wherever i go "just in case".

Two of my favorite "packet" tricks tho are not E&W, but were designed and routined by Doc Daugherty of Pittsburgh, PA (not the DD of the Wash DC area)

Ever hear of Doc's tricks:

Psi-Flexion: one of the best visual mental nail-bending effects I have seen over the years.

and

Mirroraculous: A packet card trick that ends with all cards turning to mirrors. Not to be confused with another similar effect called "mirror miracle". I believe Mirraculous is superior.

Gotta dig that out again.

Nicholas Carifo
Nicholas Carifo

Return to Reference Room