New to magic

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.

Postby Guest » 10/19/06 06:18 AM

Hello everyone, I am a new magician and want to give a shout out to all the genii forum members. I am excited to learn about this forum (my friend to ld me about it) and am looking forward to learning all I can about magic. I'm a senior in HS and have loved magic ever since a magician performed at our school.

Can anyone give me some tips on how to become a good magician? What type of tricks should I do? I love street magic and think david blaine and chris angel are great. They do the coolest magic. Do they ever come on this board?

Thanks for your help, I hope to meet at a gathering one day.

Postby Pete Biro » 10/19/06 09:00 AM

Don't rush the magic. Develope your personality and people skills.

READ.

READ.

READ.

Get the Tarbell Course and Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, Expert Card Technique and anything on Dai Vernon.

That should last you five years.
Stay tooned.
Pete Biro

Postby Harry Lorayne » 10/19/06 08:42 PM

Don't listen to all that c***, my friend! Just pick up any Lorayne book - they were all written just for. LORAYNE: THE CLASSIC COLLECTION will keep you busy for years. Good Luck - HARRY LORAYNE.
Harry Lorayne

Postby Guest » 10/20/06 10:32 AM

i love it... a bit of self promotion i mean! Actually, that's not being altogether ironic... i've read stuff from lybrary and by Harry Lorayne and I'd recommend both. There are many great books out there - use the internet to get reviews and find out what other people have thought of various books. But the main thing is - read, read and read

Postby Guest » 10/20/06 11:27 AM

If you are new to magic you will only get confused if you read all the above books. What's more you will have so much material to choose from you will end up spending more time wondering what to do and end up doing nothing.

I will recommend one book to you and I urge you to read no other until you have studied it thoroughly. It is very well written and the material is good enough to be in the repertoires of professional magicians.

It will ground you in the basics of modern close-up magic, which from what you have said is the area you will be performing.

In fact if you master only a fraction of the effects in the book you will be ahead of 70% of the members of all magic clubs. Master all of the book and you can hold your own with anyone.

The book is The Magic Book by Harry Lorayne. Your second book should be on the history of magic.

Postby Guest » 10/21/06 07:28 AM

Quentin Reynolds makes a good point, it is indeed very easy to be overwhelmed by a million magic tricks and lose sight of the need to master any of the skills as you flit from one to the next. But by reading more widely, you can also pick up a sense of what's involved in magic in a wider sense - different performance presentations, attitudes, the history of the art and the many different ways even the same trick can be made to play. I'd say do both - read widely, but also try to maybe pick say three of five tricks to start with that you can really do well

Postby Guest » 10/21/06 08:40 AM

You can never read enough and often old books and magazines are the best sources to build your magic knowledge on many levels - methods, presentations, history, ...

A good example is Max Maven who in his early time as young magician grew up reading a lot of old magazines because this was all he could afford. And today Max is arguably one of the most widely read, knowledgable and innovative magicians alive.

Unless you want to be another Joe with a pack of cards, read as widely and as much as you can.

Best,
Chris
www.lybrary.com

Postby Guest » 10/21/06 07:42 PM

As a writer I second the advice that you read. But I think that even more important is that you find a live human being whose opinion and magic you respect. Ask this person to recommend and teach you your first three tricks, in person. Show your tricks to this person and keep practicing them until there is nothing more they can teach you about each trick. When you can do those, then hit the books.

Books are great, but learning a magic trick from a book is very much a learned skill. I think it's an unnecessarily difficul to ask someone just beginning to learn magic to also learn how to acquire magic from a book at the same time. Conversely, it is much easier to learn a trick from a book after you've already learned a few tricks.

If you want a good trick, I'd recommend starting with the standard cut and restored rope. You can do it anywhere, with anything from string to thick rope, for an audience of virtually any size. There are no preparation or gimmicks required and you end clean. And it's genuinely an amazing trick that if presented well will not only fool people but give them a deep experience of having seen something truly impossible.

Postby Guest » 10/22/06 05:57 AM

Books are fine, but I think it's also good to watch as many magicians perform as you can. It's very hard to get a sense of how timing and misdirection work from reading books.

Return to Reference Room