Texas hold them

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.

Postby Jacky Kahan » 05/16/05 01:45 PM

Hi,

I was asked to recommend some books on poker "texas hold them".
Since i don't know the subject i ask you...
which are the best books on the subject? and why would you recommend them?
(doesn't have to be magic related)

thanks

jacky
www.magicbooks.be
Jacky Kahan

Postby Brian Marks » 05/16/05 01:56 PM

1. Texas Held'em
2. Ken Warren is the author of a couple of good books.
David Slowsky (spelling?)
Brian Marks

Postby John Wilson » 05/16/05 05:58 PM

Super System - Doyle Brunson et al
Super System II - Doyle Brunson et al
The Theory of Poker - David Sklansky
Play Poker Like the Pros - Phil Helmuth
John Wilson

Postby Jeff Haas » 05/17/05 12:58 AM

Several reviews are on www.pokertips.org, they may be helpful:

http://www.pokertips.org/books/books.php

Jeff
Jeff Haas

Postby Guest » 05/17/05 08:16 AM

The 2 best books for beginner low/limit players are:

"Low Limit Holdem" (Lee Jones)

&

"Small Stakes Holdem" (Miller, Sklansky and Malmuth)

I have to disagree with the Helmuth reccomendation ("Play Poker Like the Pros") the book is a fun read... and he gives a good overview of various games... but... his advice on holdem is fair at best.

Super System is percieved as 'the bible' of poker (it is to poker as Erdnase is to card magic) however, if your friend is a beginner, he'll probably gain more use from the books I suggested (Super System's strength lies in it's no-limit advice... most players/poker newbies will be playing low/limit games.)

Speaking of Poker... The Harrah's world series circuit is in town (Bayou Poker Challenge) I'll be playing in one of the events tommorow... wish me luck!

Postby Brian Marks » 05/17/05 08:29 AM

good luck
Brian Marks

Postby John Wilson » 05/18/05 11:54 PM

I do have to disagree with you about Helmuth, the man has 9 world series of poker bracelets and they are all in hold 'em. I personally will take his advice in a heartbeat, but different strokes for different folks i guess. :cool:
John Wilson

Postby Guest » 05/19/05 08:24 AM

I agree, Helmuth has a great track record (+ he's fun to watch play) I just don't think his book gives good advice (an opinion shared by MANY poker players.)

Due to his popularity, Phil's book was my first purchase. I followed his (ueber-basic) strategy and did 'okay'... but... then (after recieving some reccomendations from other pro players) I decided to check out the aforementioned books (Sklanksy, Miller, Brunson, etc) Simply put, there is no comparison. Helmuth's tome doesn't come close to explaining 'the real work.'

----------

Here's another one for the list:
I just got Dan Harrington's new book (on No-Limit tourney strategy) If you wanna play the game you see the big boys playing on TV, then action Dan's book will put ya on the right track (Helmuth barely touches on Tournament strategy in his book.)

BTW: The Harrah's tourney sold out (800+ entrants) I didn't get a seat :o

Postby Jacky Kahan » 05/19/05 02:33 PM

Hello to all...
and many thanks to all the answers!

jacky
www.magicbooks.be
Jacky Kahan

Postby Guest » 05/19/05 04:30 PM

I've two poker questions maybe someone can answer. Note I don't play poker because I suck at it and it would just be quicker for me to hand my money to people.
1) Has anyone in the Worlds Series of Poker every pulled a royal flush?
2) Can the winner tip the dealer at the end and if so what do you tip on a multi million dollar win?
Steve V

Postby Guest » 05/19/05 05:31 PM

Originally posted by Steve V':
I've two poker questions maybe someone can answer. Note I don't play poker because I suck at it and it would just be quicker for me to hand my money to people.
1) Has anyone in the Worlds Series of Poker every pulled a royal flush?
2) Can the winner tip the dealer at the end and if so what do you tip on a multi million dollar win?
Steve V

Postby Guest » 05/19/05 05:33 PM

I'm not sure about the royal flush but the tip is usually made after the tourney and is between 1% and 3% of the total winnings the winner receives. That money is usually split between all the dealers who participated in the ordeal...

Return to Reference Room