Question for Amateur, Thinking of going professional

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.

Postby Guest » 11/14/05 07:12 AM

I have been thinking about offering my services as a magician and am curios how professionals charge. Can Anyone help me here?

Postby John LeBlanc » 11/14/05 07:20 AM

Originally posted by Josh Sundberg:
I have been thinking about offering my services as a magician and am curios how professionals charge. Can Anyone help me here?
Before anyone can answer specifically (and usefully), it would help if you'd provide a bit more information.

What do you mean by "offering (your) services as a magician"? Doing what, exactly? Where? For whom?

And how do you define "professional"?

As for what to charge, largely that's a function of who it is you're working for and what it is you're doing for them. A professional entertainer at a private party will be paid according to a different scale than someone working a corporate event.

And a professional entertainer in one section of the country (or world) will be paid according to a different scale than entertainers elsewhere. "What the market will bear" married to "what are you worth?" will get you closer to that figure.

John
http://www.escamoteurettes.com/blog/
John LeBlanc

Postby David Alexander » 11/14/05 09:11 PM

Right on, John!
David Alexander

Postby Guest » 12/09/05 04:47 PM

It depends where you are and how good. When you have built up your market a bit you can charge more. I would say start off at about $50 an hour or say $75 for a children's gig. The you can up it as you get more bookers. For corporate events you should be charging $500+ for a couple of hours walk round.

Return to Reference Room