books on performance

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.

Postby Umpa Duze » 11/23/05 02:49 PM

Hi All,
I wondered which books you would recommend for someone who is interested in studying the theory and performance of magic rather than learning specific magical effects.
Cheers,
Umpa Duze
Umpa Duze

Postby Jacky Kahan » 11/23/05 03:00 PM

I would suggest to check www.magicbooks.be there is a section related to Theory and History
you have to subscribe... but it's FREE :)
hope you'll find you way ...enjoy

ps: I've heard that Shattering Illusions from Jamy Ian SWISS is excellent ... It's next on my shelf...

Jacky
www.magicbooks.be
Jacky Kahan

Postby Dustin Stinett » 11/23/05 03:13 PM

Just off the top of my pointy head, here are a few I recommend:

Maximum Entertainment by Ken Weber
Strong Magic by Darwin Ortiz
The Experience of Magic by Eugene Burger
And if you do or want to do kid shows, Seriously Silly by David Kaye is the best $50 investment youll ever make.

An essay by yours truly followed by a discussion on Strong magic can be found by clicking HERE .

Shattering Illusions by Jamy Ian Swiss is must reading, but for reasons other than just the performance theory (which is not the central part of the book). An essay and discussion of that book can be found by clicking HERE .

Good luck!
Dustin
Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » 11/23/05 04:44 PM

After a little more thinking, I should add Our Magic by Maskelyne and Devant. It was written nearly a century ago, but much of what is there is still quite valid. I should warn you that reading books of such vintage takes some patience. They tend to have a verbose quality about them, and that lends to a far different cadence and tone than modern works.

Two (seven, actually) other modern works you should look into include essays among the great magic they offer. The two-volume Books of Wonder by Tommy Wonder have many excellent essays on performance theory. These are available from Hermetic Press .

Michael Closes Workers series (one through five) also have many exceptional pieces. All five of these books can be purchased as one e-book should that be your cup of tea directly from Michael Close .

I should also point out that Seriously Silly and Strong Magic are still available from Kaufman and Company

Dustin
Dustin Stinett

Postby Umpa Duze » 11/27/05 09:55 AM

Hi All,
Thanks for all of your suggestions. I have been enjoyimg Our Magic, and plan on adding the others to my Christmas list. I really appreciate the advice I get here and your willingness to share your experience with me.
Eric
Cheers,
Umpa Duze
Umpa Duze

Return to Reference Room