Double lift and turnover

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.

Postby Guest » 01/02/04 03:17 PM

Hi I am new here and am from North Wales UK.
Have been practising for about a year and really love Magic despite being 54 years old. Still have trouble sometimes with double lift and turnover not all the time but if I turnover book style sometimes it can be seen I have turbed 2 cards. If I turn from the outer end no problem. It is just that I think the page of a book turnover looks better any suggestions to keep cards together. Thanks Barry

Postby Chris Aguilar » 01/02/04 03:22 PM

I suggest Greg Wilson's excellent Doubletake video which covers the double lift exclusively. Or you might check the Card College series which also covers this in depth.

Postby Richard Kaufman » 01/02/04 03:24 PM

Hi Barry, Welcome to the Forum.
When you do a Double Turnover, press lightly downward on the double card as you drag it to the right. Your right thumb and fingers keep the right long side of the double card together and the left long side is pressing against the deck.
I suggest you purchase my DVD from Meir Yedid on Basic Card Technique. :)
There are many books that will give you the proper techniques for a Double Turnover or Double Lift.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine
Richard Kaufman

Postby Pete Biro » 01/02/04 03:27 PM

Being from the U.K., I would suggest study Stanley Collins' double lift. It was good enough for Larry Jennings. :cool:
Stay tooned.
Pete Biro

Postby M. Sibbernsen » 01/02/04 08:13 PM

Hi Barry,

I just emailed you some valuable advice on the double. I hope you find it useful.

MS
M. Sibbernsen

Postby Guest » 01/10/04 03:27 PM

Hi Barry

I second Mr. Kaufman's suggestion about his DVD. As a beginner ( i also started about 12 month ago,and started seriously working with cards about 6 month ago) i bought the CardCollege 1 and 2 and Mr. Kaufman's BASIC DVD.
In the very beginning i "feared" the double lift, but day after day i feel more and more comfortable with the double lift as described in the DVD (most of the time i use the Dailey double lift) and i enjoy using this technique.
So go for it, you will love it.

Best wishes from germany

Ruediger Meier

Postby Guest » 01/13/04 06:54 AM

I usually take the double card by the ends with my right middle finger and thumb, then turn it over. But, I agree that the book turnover move is much prettier and more convincing, and I've been trying to get better at it.

Michael Ammar refers to "Dai Vernon's double lift" in one of his videos. What method is this?

Return to Reference Room