Charlie Miller on the finger break

A place where beginners can participate, ask questions, and post their views. However, beginners typically ask a lot of questions about sources, tricks, books, and so on. In fact, all magicians are interested (or should be) in the provenance of tricks, ideas, and related matters. This department will service these needs.

Postby Guest » 01/19/07 01:45 AM

I remember reading about someone asking Charlie Miller what he thought the most fundamental sleight was in card magic. He replied, "the little finger break, without it you can't do much" or something to that effect.

Can anybody help me track down where I would have read this?

Best,

Tyler Erickson

Postby Guest » 01/19/07 04:03 AM

You're probably thinking of the following, which appears on page 13 of "Secrets of an Escamoteur" by Harry Riser:

...Charlie often asked me, "if you were stranded on an uninhabited island and could only have one book, one gimmick, etc., what would it be?"...Charlie's choice of a single sleight for his uninhabited island was always the same: the break in all its forms and applcations.

Postby Guest » 01/19/07 11:33 AM

Thank you, I have read that as well, but the quote I'm looking for was a little more terse. I think it might have been in a magazine.

T

Postby Guest » 01/22/07 02:54 PM

Is this topic not exciting enough?

If I read it somewhere other than the Harry Riser book, that means Mr. Miller had it appear in print in at least two places. I'm betting that there are some other sources yet to be named.

T

Return to Reference Room