Well spoke Vic!
Yes, there is plenty of great business text dedicated to, for and about magic and the performing arts... to that I say BRAVO!
Life-savers like Dave Dee and others have taken on the responsibility of appropriately and respectfully regurgitating work of the masters and have carved-out quite a niche for them selves as well as saving US the time, money and exhaustive study required to re-present such a competent text and product line... I for one am eternally grateful!
Great resources that I personally recommend include:
- Conjuring for Cash by Don Davidson (IF you ever can find a copy...)
- Any and all of the Dave Dee Stuff
- Jim Snack's brand-new release "Success in Magic!" will save LIVES in magic... really!
- Joel's Hustle Hustle is AWESOME and his Live seminar tapes are even BETTER... if that were possible!
- Randy's book(s) are cram-packed as well as his latest "Niche-Magic"!
- Millard Grubb has one of the most comprehensive looks at making real money in magic... NOW!
- Steve Hart is a wealth of experience, insight and guidance worth millions!
- Eddy Wade (KILLER, MUST-HAVE Promotions System!!!)
- Scott Hollingsworth and his monthly offering The Magic Edge is a MUST READ!
- Adam Christing's contribution is absolutely amazing and worth every penny and more!
- Paul Diamond's; "It Takes GUTS Dammit!" is a true one of a kind and has made me a TON of money over the years!
- Chris Carey and his newly re-released (and improved) book Doing the Stuff That's YOU Too!
- Stan, the marketing-man Kramian has a load of real-life experience and has put it into different works! (Plus his LIVE annual event in Oregon)
- Rick Allen and his promotional anthology that no-performer should be with-out! (As well as his monthly newsletter!)
- Jim Sisty (Spelling) and the Magic Menu. Single handedly responsible for more successful magic careers than any one else on the planet!
- Jason Juliano - The Dewgie Howser of Marketing Magic! The No BS, Instant Magic Class System!
- Ormond McGill - The DEAN of Stage Hypnosis. A personal Mentor and renowned contributor to magic and Hypnosis!
- David Ginn's Promoting Me n' You! (and Too!)
- The Bob Markwood Series... POOF!
- The Success Books from the Marshall's
- Hal Diamond - Promotion in Motion!
- Cards That Mean Business - By Heldman
- Michael Kett's Quick-Start Magic
- Sammy Smith has a huge compendium of success materials
- CJ Johnson has "More Show, More Money!" and other products.
- Timothy Hyde of Magic-Coach (If your not getting it,,, you SHOULD. It's FREE!)
- Dave Risly... if you work with kids, you KNOW this name!
- Crazy Steve Olsen - How to make $500.00 a show! (Over 20 years ago!)
- Mickey Hades (Publisher) - ALL kinds of marketing stuff for us magic-types!
- Tommy Windsor - The God Father of The Pitch for Magician's!
- Any of The Michael Ammar series
- The Dick Ryan Confidential Booking Reports! (Esp # 1)
- Dave Charvet - Banquets Magician's Handbook.
- Lots of the Flora stuff. (Not all, but LOTS!)
- Tim David
- BJ Hickman
- Jon Jenson
- John Waltz
- Jim Kleefield
- Fred Becker
- Jim Pace
- Eric Paul
... and so many others!
THIS is not even nearly all of the stuff that is out there JUST for US as magical performers... not by a LONG-SHOT! (And that says NOTHING about all the great non-magic business books and information out there!)
Honestly, I could genuinely say something positive about each-one of these astounding professionals because they all, in one-way or another positively impacted my life over the last 30+ years!
Is there lousy stuff out there... you bet your sweet bippy there is! ONE tape alone that was released only a couple of years ago, (that shall remain nameless!) if taken seriously, could single handedly set magic marketing back by nearly 50 years! It was THAT bad!
So, How do you know what's HOT and what's NOT???
It's hard to tell now-a-days... with today's technologies, everyone can "look" good, that's a givin'. (Just look at all the new so-called GURU's out there today!) Certainly one safe way is to take "recommendations" from those you trust, respect and MOST IMPORTANTLY are real-live examples and NOT just well-meaning friends. (who can't make it in this biz!)
REALLY, If you are taking advice from anyone who is not further down the road than you are, and more appropriately "where you want to be now", as far as real-world experience, than you are not getting the very BEST support and solution possible!
No-one asks a Plummer advice about the condition of your electro physiology and a need for a pacemaker... no-way! You rely on the EXPERT who's PROVEN track record is worth following! Even a "professor" of economy or marketing... head-smart, but still only surviving on a collage teachers salary, NO!
YOU WANT TO TAKE ADVICE, GUIDANCE AND FORM THE "SUCCESS" IN LIFE and in our industry... it's that simple! Everything else is JUST guess-work!
Please, DON'T take my word for it... as ANY of the FULL-TIME respected professionals here and see if what I suggest is the truth. You see, the path has been cleared through the forest for you, IF you are willing to invest in YOURSELF to find the way!
Can you do it all by yourself?
YES, you most certainly can, but WHY??? Why would you not avail yourself of the wealth of experience, insights, research, life skills and blunders so that YOU don't have to make all the same mistakes? If there is a map to success... I say just get the map and simply go-out and dig-up all the gold that's waiting out there for ya'!
With all the GREAT information available here and on the net, there is simply NO excuse that anyone who really wants to, and is willing to take the action necessary, can't enjoy a killer lifestyle in this wonderful, wacky world of show BUSINESS!!
Anyway... just another perspective from another brother out there! Hope it helps some!
I am at your service and in His service,
ALL this stuff is FREE too! Check it out! Absolutely FREE Money Makin\' Marketing Support!