Fee - mail

Post topics about the business side of magic.

Postby Jon Allen » 05/05/04 05:43 PM

Many times, I receive an enquiry by email with two questions at the heart of them:

Are you free on xx/xx?
How much do you charge?

Very often I don't want to quote a fee because the person will simply list all the numbers and pick a low one. I also don't feel email is the right place to expound about my virtues because it is difficult to do in an email and one's personality can never come across in the format. I invite the person to call me or allow me to call them at a cionvenient time. However, very often, when I don't quote a fee, I never hear from them again.

I feel that if someone is after a fee as the most important thing, without knowing much about the performer and what they have to offer, then I am not going to get the job anyway. They are probably after a cheap magician.

How do you deal with emails that simply want you to quote a price?
Jon Allen

Postby Nicholas Carifo » 05/06/04 02:38 AM

I agree with you. One of the first rules of sales is not to quote a price off the bat without knowing the buyer's wants and needs and having the opportunity to communicate how best you can fulfill those needs. That can only happen through communication, not simply a fast email price quote.

At the very least, you should have a phone conversation to adequately discuss the features, advantages and benefits of your services and the wants and needs of the buyer.

My suggestion is something that I am implementing for my own website currently, and it might be your answer too.

I suggest eliminating simply your e-mail address link on your website and replace it with an "email form" for an interested prospect to fill out online to request more information. Have the phone number be a required field of entry on the form. The form will not send without the phone number. Then you can simply call the prospect back, instead of just emailing them with a non-qualified price quote. Or reply with some basic info in an email and contact them by phone. This is not a cold sales call anymore since they contacted you through your website first.

Sure they can put in a fake phone number, but if they do that, then how serious a buyer were they to begin with?

Hope this helps...

Have fun,
Nicholas Carifo
Nicholas Carifo

Postby Jon Allen » 05/06/04 04:03 AM

I do have an online form for people to fill out their details and requirements, but I like the idea of making the phone number a necessity. Even knowing all the information, I have no chance to *charm* them live if I only reply through email, yet most people simply want to know the bare facts about you.

I'll give the required number a try!
Jon Allen

Return to Marketing & Magic Business