To Lay -Away Or Not To Lay -Away!

Post topics about the business side of magic.

Postby Guest » 03/20/06 09:58 PM

Do you think that a Lay-away Plan for Magicians is a worthwhile endeavor?

Postby Guest » 03/21/06 08:19 AM

First you'd have to find a magician worth buying....

Postby Guest » 03/22/06 01:24 PM

I have voted on the assumption your are talking about high end items such as illusions.

Frank Tougas

Postby Guest » 03/24/06 03:12 PM

If Wal-Mart puts toddler apparatus on lay-away, why should a magic dealer be any different?

As long as you have a definite length of time for the lay-away, there's no reason not to do it.

Postby Guest » 03/24/06 08:35 PM

as a former partner with Tannens Magic in its heydays ( with over 5 MM in sales in 1980) don't do it!

Postby Guest » 03/25/06 06:25 PM

While I'm not a person that usually buys anything using layaways (of course a credit card can almost be considered a layaway :) ) - I am curious Mario why you so strongly insist not to do it.

At first thought I would assume it would provide more business especially on the high dollar items.

Again - just curious....

Dave

Postby Guest » 04/14/06 09:25 PM

Sometimes a layaway can keep someone who can afford to purchase a high dollar item from getting it. For example, if you have a unique item, and some fellow decides to put it on layaway to keep other collectors from getting it, then you may lose other customers when the item comes out of layaway due to a failure of the original "near purchaser" to complete the layaway contract.

So if you do have layaway, there must be definite finite rules about how it's done -- deadlines, etc.

Postby Guest » 04/19/06 08:05 PM

When I worked in a magic shop we would do layaways, but you had to come in every week and put a little more money into the pot. If you skipped a week, the item could go back on the shelf for a general sale.

Postby Guest » 06/03/06 10:40 PM

A magic shop is not like walmart! You can't lay-a-way a secret. Lay-a-way policy is, pay as you go and I'll give you the product when you are done paying.eg. Levi's, Hoover vac's.. ect.

Return to Marketing & Magic Business