What's My Sign? Inventor?

Instead of mentally projecting your mentalism thoughts, type them here.

Postby Bob Farmer » 11/20/03 05:01 AM

HISTORY OF WHATS MY SIGN?

By Bob Farmer

K.E.N.T. (the Knepper-Mahood misstep) mistakenly credits Ray Grismer with the invention of Whats My Sign? of course, the real credit for a progressive anagram should be to Stanley Collins (1922) not Ray Grismer. As to its use in astrology

In January of 1986 I came up with an effect called, Fate Accompli it had several different elements, one of which was the use of a progressive anagram to determine a spectators astrological sign. I sent this off to Max Maven and he mentioned it to T. A. Waters.

T.A. published his version, Signse in New Invocation, No. 39, June 1987 (later republished in MIND, MYTH AND MAGIC (pp. 460-462), crediting me with the original idea.

In a 1987 letter to me, T.A. explained his publication of the idea as follows:

The reason I put Signse into INVOCATION something I had originally not intended to do is that one of the people I showed it to was Ray Grismer, sometime more than a year ago. This past January I saw it advertised under his name in the Hades Newsletter. I dont think Ray intentionally lifted it just forgot where he had seen it but I did want to set the record straight and give credit to you for the inspiration.

Steve Banachek sent me a very interesting version in 1996 (and posted my e-mail on the origins to the PEA newsgroup).

Incidentally, Alain Nu has a completely different (and very clever) method for nailing the sign see his Zodiesque.

I also invented Hippity Hoppity Wrabbity Wrabbit Run, but have never received credit.
Bob Farmer

Postby Matthew Field » 11/20/03 09:12 AM

Originally posted by Bob Farmer:
I also invented Hippity Hoppity Wrabbity Wrabbit Run, but have never received credit.
I believe Marlo first came up with "Mr. Furry Rumbleskin Cuts to the Aces," an obvious precursor.

Matt Field
Matthew Field

Postby Guest » 11/21/03 01:06 PM

What's the reference for the Stanley Collins origination ?! I'm assuming it's in 'Stanley Collins - Conjurer, Collector and Iconoclast' but can't find it despite searching!

Coincidently, I've just released a utility called 'Panagram' which allows you to explore Progressive Anagrams quite nicely; it's on my site. In fact, have someone think of who they thought created the concept in 'Whats my Sign' and work it out with the following:

Conjurers
\
R
| \
| STANLEY COLLINS
M
| \
| TA WATERS
O
| \
| RAY GRISMER
D
| \
| BOB FARMER
ED MARLO

How's that for a self-referential post ;-)

Cheers,

Jamie.

www.underground-collective.com

Postby Richard Kaufman » 11/21/03 05:13 PM

The progressive anagram is definitely Collins', but can't remember if it's in my Collins book or not. The book Eddie Dawes wrote for me does NOT contain everything Collins published by any means--there are books, booklets, submissions to magazines, and marketed tricks, none of which are repeated in our book. So, there's a lot of other places to check.
I'm sure, however, that Max Maven knows exactly where it is. :
Max?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine
Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Hatch » 11/21/03 06:37 PM

According to the new compilation of Sam Schwartz material, Collins created a progressive anagram word list in 1920 and included the words in a book test called A HOLIDAY IN MOROCCO (that was the name of the booklet used in the test).
Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » 11/21/03 06:38 PM

According to the new compilation of Sam Schwartz material, Collins created a progressive anagram word list in 1920 and included the words in a book test called A HOLIDAY IN MOROCCO (that was the name of the booklet used in the test).
Richard Hatch

Postby Matthew Field » 11/21/03 07:09 PM

Further to Richard Hatch's reply, Stanley Collins' progessive anagram, first published in "Holiday in Morocco," is the subject of Chapter 27 (pg. 196) of "Stanley Collins: Conjuror, Collecor, and Iconoclast" by Edwin A. Dawes. I had the honor of editing the book (with a Mr. Kaufman).

The book was published by Kaufman and Company in 2002.

Matt Field
Matthew Field

Return to Mentalism & Mental Magic