Gaffed lock

Instead of mentally projecting your mentalism thoughts, type them here.

Postby Bill Mullins » 03/23/05 12:25 AM

There is a gaffed padlock effect in which the method involves taking any of several different keys, and only inserting it partway. What is it called?

Is it proprietary? or a "standard" dealer item?
Bill Mullins

Postby Guest » 03/23/05 04:30 AM

If you can get ahold of Steve Santini, he manufactures these and has some in several styles. These are EXTREMELY nicely manufactured as well.

try www.stevesantini.com

Postby Guest » 03/23/05 12:56 PM

If memory serves, this is the Stewart Judah method for the "Seven Keys to Baldpate". Lots of other methods around, one of the more popular dealer items being "Key-R Rect". I'm not sure who has the rights to the Judah method, or if anyone does. Anyone out there with more information on the provenance of this method? The original presentation, and the idea for the effect, came from Annemann's first book, "The Book Without a Name", I believe. All of this could be wrong...

Best, PSC

Postby Brad Henderson » 03/23/05 01:09 PM

Hemmingway lock, CW made one that worked this way.

Brad
Brad Henderson

Postby Bill Mullins » 03/23/05 01:48 PM

Originally posted by pchosse:
The original presentation, and the idea for the effect, came from Annemann's first book, "The Book Without a Name", I believe.
Annenman's book used a change bag to ring in and out keys that would or wouldn't work.

Who makes Key -r rect?
Bill Mullins

Postby Guest » 03/23/05 03:22 PM

Key-R-Rect isn't made anymore. It was manufactured by Merriss Magic in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, but I heard that he passed away a while back. K-R-R does NOT involve the method in question, of inserting the key partially into the lock to effect operation. Hemingway Lock from Collector's Workshop has that operation.

Steve Thomas

Postby Guest » 03/23/05 04:03 PM

Ken Allen put out one in the 1950's called "Lock

of Gibralter " .Only one key would open the lock

untill it was opened and then any onr would. Sold

for $5 / $7,50. I still have mine, but then I'm

a magpie.......Mike the Magpie

Postby Brad Henderson » 03/23/05 04:32 PM

Steven's was selling Key-r-rect sets as of last year I beleive.
Brad Henderson

Postby Guest » 03/23/05 08:09 PM

I have an original Merriss Key-R-Rect set in like new condition I'll sell for $70. if anyone is interested... --Asrah

Postby Guest » 03/24/05 12:39 AM

If one is technically advanced enough, It's an easy method to take apart a master lock and remove or file down the tumblars.

Leaving all but one, the last one will achieve your purpose. I believe...

www.scottxavier.com
www.zodiaceffect.com

Postby Guest » 03/24/05 05:43 PM

Carlyle sells a really nice gravity lock that is Sssswwwwweeeetttt! I highly recommend it as unlike Key-r-rect, any key that YOU want to open the lock will. You will find it at his site at: http://www.carlyletouch.com/ AND NO I do not have any financial interest in the sale of his things, just trying to give you a professional opinion as I use one all the time in my shows. The advantage is that you can build mystery UP by allowing individuals to try their keys, each time it not working until you are down to two keys, thus building the suspense.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
AB Stagecraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Where mentalists come for unique material

Postby Guest » 03/24/05 06:17 PM

Save yourself the time and trouble of the padlock effects and go for the ultimate...an Anverdi Keybox. It's the very best of these effects ever made. You don't handle anything, no partial insertions of keys, no need to "set" anything, no fear of the spectator handling anything. The King of all "7 keys effects"!

Steve Thomas

Postby Bill Palmer » 03/27/05 04:06 PM

Key-RRRR-Rect is, indeed, being manufactured by someone. I purchased Pete Biro's Bogus Belt recently, and it came with a new version of Key--RRR-Rect.

Hocus-Pocus has it. It is called "Correct Key." Same principle, newer locks.
Bill Palmer, MIMC
Bill Palmer

Postby Danny Archer » 04/08/05 11:42 AM

In the April MAGIC magazine is my handling of the 7 Keys effect using an ungimmicked lock ... cheaper, 100% foolproof and uses normal props ...
Producer of MINDvention
mentalism convention
Danny Archer

Postby Brian Morton » 04/08/05 03:33 PM

Me, I'd like to see the Seven Keys/Key-rrect gaffed lock done with an antique-style lock (that looks appropriate for the Bogus Belt that I already own). It's kind of ridiculous to pull out a 15th century chastity belt and use it with 20th century padlocks...

brian :cool:
Brian Morton

Postby Tabman » 04/08/05 05:00 PM

Originally posted by Danny Archer:
In the April MAGIC magazine is my handling of the 7 Keys effect using an [b]ungimmicked lock ... cheaper, 100% foolproof and uses normal props ... [/b]
I don't subscribe to that other magazine but maybe I will buy a copy of it just to read this story. This sounds good and from Danny Archer I bet it is.

-=tab
Tabman

Postby justin » 04/09/05 06:47 AM

In my opinion Germains Fausts Lock is the best Lock.
Justin.
justin

Return to Mentalism & Mental Magic