Book Tests

Instead of mentally projecting your mentalism thoughts, type them here.

Postby Guest » 05/09/02 09:23 PM

Is there a "gaffed" book test out there where the prop LOOKS real? I've done a bit of research on tests using real books (or the same book in different covers)because I want something that will withstand casual examination by an audience member. My problem with the "Ultimate Flashback" book (and others) is that the artwork, layout and covers seem somehow "different", especially when mixed in with other real books. Opinions, please.

While we're at it, I want to be able to offer the spectator any one of three books (without forcing or equivoque)and then nto one of three prepared routines. In other words, I want to emphasize the totally free choice and then, depending on which book they pick, that's the routine I do that night. Any suggestions?

Postby Guest » 05/09/02 10:56 PM

Hello, again. Max Maven's Autome is a GREAT routine, and my personal favorite non-gaffed (sort of) book test. Also, Lee Earle's "Dream Test" is VERY good. If the Autome routine appeals to you, I suggest that you go out and get a book called "The Fountain Society" by Wes Craven. What makes this book so cool is that you can perform the test THREE TIMES without repeating the same outcome! The Hoy book test is a KILLER test that is sadly scoffed at by many performers because of its simplicity. It is best used as part of a larger routine. For example, it is perfect if used in order to get "One Ahead" in a Mental Epic routine. Why force a card, and make it another card trick?

Postby Guest » 05/10/02 03:07 AM

Yes Autome is great! I take it that the Craven book could be used in the same way; Ill get it immediately, and its only about $7 at Amazon (if its by Craven I imagine its also a reasonable horror story). Do you know the source for this book (i.e. who found it)? I also seem to remember someone saying that Hollywood Wives works too (but, just the once).

Would there be a point to eschewing equivoque and using three special books?

Postby Guest » 05/10/02 06:17 AM

There are numerous approaches available to you. The easiest would be to switch the covers of your Flashback books to different covers. That's easy enough to do and is something one must do occasionally anyway so they don't look shabby.

There are some excellent "impromptu" book tests including Richard Busch's from Peek Performances. Lee Earle's Silver Bullet offers you the opportunity to use any unprepared book you want as well. Dick Osterlind's Seafire Sequence is an excellent routine using 10 unprepared books that can be given away at the end of the show and may best fit your bill as it entails such a "choice" as you describe.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat

Postby Guest » 05/10/02 06:58 AM

Yes, switching the covers on a number of identical books seems a good alternative to having three special books (Flashback books, is that the term?). Three special books (flashback?) entail, among other things, having to keep track of three sets of numbers to force.

Thanks Paul for the reading suggestions !!! I, for one, will have to look at ALL the suggestions (this forum is certainly detrimental to my finances).

Still, its nice to have a repertoire of special books for those times when you visit someone and can borrow something from their own bookshelf (make sure to give everyone you know a Flashback book for Christmas. And dont forget to wait for a couple of years before doing the trick).

P.S. There is a review of Silver Bullet at:

http://www.online-visions.com/reviews/0212sb.html

It should be said that the VISION review is not favourable. I also looked at some of the posts at the Magic cafe http://themagiccafe.com/ where there a lots of people with very favourable views of the product/gimmick/thing.

Postby Guest » 05/10/02 07:05 AM

As far as I know, I found the Craven book. It is not a Horror story. More of a suspense thriller. If anyone obtains the book (Wal-Mart carries it for about $5) e-mail me, and I will give you the page #'s and images.

Postby Guest » 05/10/02 07:16 AM

Thats very generous of you David. Ill get back to you the minute my copy arrives!

Postby Matthew Field » 05/10/02 07:32 AM

Meir Yedid's "WOW" book test uses ordinary-looking paperbacks.

Matthew Field
Matthew Field

Postby Guest » 05/10/02 08:27 AM

Unless something has changed, the WOW (Walk On Water) book test from Yedid was only available in hard back, and is no longer being produced.

Postby Bob Farmer » 05/10/02 10:43 AM

There's a very cool book test in Greer Marechal's MAGIC FOR THE MILLIONS -- it uses a very interesting way of narrowing the page number.
Bob Farmer

Return to Mentalism & Mental Magic