Hypnotism and Cold Reading

Instead of mentally projecting your mentalism thoughts, type them here.

Postby David Mitchell » 04/17/03 04:42 AM

While cold reading is mostly just the power of observation taken to it's limit, I am starting to become interested in hypnotism. However, finding books on this subject is a little difficult. (For me anyway)

Does anyone out there, have a book title that would be a good introduction to what's involved. Nothing to difficult at this point, but I just want to explore a little before actually getting into the heavy artillery.

David.
David Mitchell
David Mitchell

Postby Guest » 04/17/03 06:03 AM

Well, I'll not "correct you" on your perspectives on what true Cold Reading is in this forum... (seems most folks around here have their minds made up on one point of view...) but you can check out my column @ On-Line Visions if you want to get insights from someone that actually works in a field magicians seem to only read about...

As to your other question... do a google search for Ormond McGill, Arnold Furst and Jerry Valley... there's enough information on the subject of Hypnotism & Mentalism coming from these three guys to keep you busy for years. Bare in mind Ormond & Arnold were both clinicial therapist as well as performers. Their work in the 40s and 50s laid the foundation to most of the Hyp work you see in today's entertainment markets.

Jerry offers a very solid course on Hypnosis for the stage performer by the way. I think it runs around $300.00 but you'll have to double check that.

Postby David Mitchell » 04/17/03 10:47 AM

Tnank you Craig. I didn't mean to trivialize your work, but I was just giving hte readers digest version of a description for cold reading. I am aware that there is a lot more to is than that, but to the average person who may know a little of the subject, my description would have been enough.

I will look into your recommendations, and see what I can find. I've also found some links.

http://www.hypnosis.com/learn.html

What do you think of something like this, as a starting ground to get some proper training?

David.
David Mitchell
David Mitchell

Postby Guest » 04/18/03 09:15 AM

Originally posted by David Mitchell:
While cold reading is mostly just the power of observation taken to it's limit, I am starting to become interested in hypnotism. However, finding books on this subject is a little difficult. (For me anyway)

Does anyone out there, have a book title that would be a good introduction to what's involved. Nothing to difficult at this point, but I just want to explore a little before actually getting into the heavy artillery.

David.
David,

Having done stage hypnosis for over 30 years, here are a few suggestions (joke intended) on furthering your interest.

First, look into Ormond McGill's Encyclopedia of Stage Hypnotism. While some of the material is dated, this is the definitive text on the subject fo stage work, per se.

Next, if you're really interested, take a GOOD certification course, like the one from the National Guild of Hypnotists so you know how to handle those extremely rare (but very daunting) times when someone does not react the way you expect them to.

Get video tapes from the NGH library (you must be a member to do so) of some of the shows they have had at their conventions. Some will be very worthwhile, some will serve as horrible examples of what some people consider entertainment but who are exceptionally clueless.

Then, read everything else you can on the topic, attend any and every stage hypnosis show you can and start to develop your OWN routines, much like designing your magic act.

Take stage movement lessons, microphone technique lessons, etc. for polish on your show.

Best of luck. It's a VERY demanding field because, if you fall down as a stage hypnotist, it's not easy to recover during a show.

And those shows DO happen every once in a while.

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com

Return to Mentalism & Mental Magic