"Bank Night" Recommendations

Instead of mentally projecting your mentalism thoughts, type them here.

Postby Guest » 11/03/04 12:05 PM

I am doing a show in about a month. 30 minutes. I'd like to open with a "Bank Night" type routine. I am familiar with Osterlind's routine from "Mind Mysteries" and like it but I never liked using the "----- ---" gimmick.

Can anyone steer me to sources for other versions of this great effect? When I first saw Marc Salem do it for a large crowd before I started my study of mentalism I was blown away.

Thanks!!

Postby Guest » 11/03/04 12:41 PM

Pick yourself up a copy of Max Maven's "Videomind: Stage Mentalism - Volume 3". Look for the effect "Goal Mine". A wonderful concept, great opener, and clever way of avoiding the "sting" of most bank night routines.

And, if you're willing to stoop to VHS tape, L&L Publishing is having a sale for $15 per tape. Since they're so cheap, you should really consider picking up the entire 3 volume set. Best $45 you'll ever spend on mentalism.

Postby Guest » 11/03/04 02:05 PM

Richard,
Thanks. I'll review the tapes. I saw them a few months ago and was most impressed. I've been hooked on Max ever since. I recently had the pleasure of seeing him in NYC in 3 seperate venues.

I recently did "Kurotsuke" from those tapes for a large group in a talent show. There were amazing musicians and dancers. Many came up to me, though, and said my 3 minutes stood out.

By the way, I want what I think you mean by "the sting" for this effect given the crowd I will be performing for and my style.

Bennett

Postby Guest » 11/04/04 03:41 AM

I agree botn Maven on vol 3 and also Lee Earle has another way of handling the Bank night effect on the Desert Brain Storm tapes.

However, I don't understand your fear of the gimmick. It's perfect, gives you absolute freedom to handle the envelopes in the effect. And it's even perfect in a close up situation. Even if it doesn't entirely fit your colors, its almost invisible. And moreover it's angle proof, non of the other methods are angle proof. My suggestion is the following. Walk around with the gimmick for one hour per day during a week. Play with it during that hour. Get used to it, and it will give you a lot of other options - also within mentalism.

And remember if you use money as the price, then have some valueable gifts for the participants in the trick - like Osterlinds suggestion of lottery tickets.

Postby Guest » 11/04/04 08:05 AM

Vraagaard,

I appreciate your wisdom regarding the gimmick in question. It may inspire me to give it a go.

By the way, do you happen to know what Earle calls his effect on the tape? I may want to purchase the one tape that has it. The listings mention three effects of his on the tapes:

"Manila Miracle"
"Quadravoque"
"Con-bination"

(My guess is it is "Manilla Miracle.)

Cheers,
Bennett

Postby Danny Archer » 11/04/04 09:42 AM

In my latest notes On Target, I have my Bank Night routine called Big Bill ... it eliminates the gimmick you mention and has plenty of audience interaction ... I use it every show I do ...

Archer lecture notes
Producer of MINDvention
mentalism convention
Danny Archer

Postby Guest » 11/06/04 05:00 PM

Lee Earle had a nice version in which rub off lottery tickets were found in all of the selected envelopes, while his had a fifty dollar bill in it. You could also consider using a bill in lemon type effect in which the vanished bill ended up in the envelope not selected, have the volunteer select an envelope and burn or shred it continue until there is just one envelope open that envelope and remove their bill... if you want them to be the one to open the envelope consider using two envelopes, by that I mean have a small envelope with the bill in it, that you move around, when the time comes, youll tear open the last envelope, reach inside and remove a smaller sealed envelope hand that to them to open and remove their bill Bank Night is another of those fun routine ideas that you can just sit down and play with all day having tons of ideas flow through you mind... have fun with it

Ken

Postby Guest » 11/06/04 05:23 PM

Danny Archer is right, is he has great comedy routine that uses the EASIEST yet powerful method to the trick! It is very funny and can be "dragged" out for a few minutes!

Postby Danny Archer » 11/06/04 07:39 PM

Thanks MagicApple for the nice comments .. and the post above mentions Lee Earle who inspired my routine ...

who could have predicted that! ...
Producer of MINDvention
mentalism convention
Danny Archer

Postby Guest » 11/07/04 12:01 PM

I used to do a bank night tipe effect where the espectator wins an orange (Do you can image what comes next?).But I don't do more the ca*d in oran*e.

My method was a simple magicians choice.Perhaps is not a good method if you perform the trick as an opener or alone effect, but in the middle of a routine it can get a lot of audience participation.

Ted Lesley have a very good twist and method in Paramiracles, lecture notes and his DVD of mental magic.Black Magic III.

Postby Guest » 11/07/04 02:04 PM

Originally posted by bennettjc:
Vraagaard,

I appreciate your wisdom regarding the gimmick in question. It may inspire me to give it a go.

By the way, do you happen to know what Earle calls his effect on the tape? I may want to purchase the one tape that has it. The listings mention three effects of his on the tapes:

"Manila Miracle"
"Quadravoque"
"Con-bination"

(My guess is it is "Manilla Miracle.)

Cheers,
Bennett
Yes Manilla Miracle it is. However Osterlinds is better, but Earle does handle the bill without a gimmick and manage to slide into the envelope so he can pull it out. So if you don't like the gimmick, then take a look at Lee Earle's handling.

Jan

Postby Guest » 11/08/04 09:17 AM

Thanks everyone! I will be following-up on these helpful and thoughtful leads.
Bennett

Postby Guest » 11/08/04 12:31 PM

I still believe that when doing a banknight routine you should let the participant WIN and walk away with some money. Better they walk away a winner as it makes you both look good!
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
AB Stagecraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Supplying unique mentalism world-wide

Postby Guest » 11/08/04 01:24 PM

Originally posted by Paul Alberstat:
I still believe that when doing a banknight routine you should let the participant WIN and walk away with some money. Better they walk away a winner as it makes you both look good!
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
AB Stagecraft
Actually in both Lee Earle's and Osterlinds routine the audience wins lottery tickets.

Of course the mentalist keeps the 100 $ bill in his envelope.

Postby Guest » 11/29/04 01:08 PM

Yes, I totally agree with Paul. This type of routine must NOT be presented like a challenge.
It's the reason why I like Osterlind's and Maven's versions.
Maven's version is interesting because he have circumvented the winner/loser's problem.
In the Osterlind's version, the participants "win" and you finish using humour.

Postby Guest » 12/04/04 05:27 PM

I am familiar with Osterlind's routine from "Mind Mysteries" and like it but I never liked using the "----- ---" gimmick.
[/QB]
I just recently (within the past 6 months) have been using this method to open my mental act, however the way the bill is folded in the gimmick is similar to Barrie Richardson's fold from Dollar Divination in Theatre of the Mind (pg. 20). The bill comes out much larger than the typical fold used with the gimmick (quartered as opposed to eighths or sixteenths). I also use the gimmick on its namesake for this effect. You should try it; you might overcome your adversity. The cover for this is so perfect and it looks as though the bill come directly out of the envelope not from behind. I kind of like this method. Does anyone else use this with success?

Postby Guest » 12/06/04 01:08 PM

There is a multitude of Bank Night effects out there including the one Craig Karges used from his Craig Karges Connection book, Pentalock from ReproMagic, and they also used to sell a routine where you had 5 bull dog clips hanging froma stand, each one holding an envelope. One by one an audience members points to an envelope and it is burned while still held in the stand (the performer NEVER touches the envelopes). The last enevelope is removed from the clip by the participant and they open it to find the $100 bill. Not sure if they still sell that one.

Those are just a couple of the ones that come to mind.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
AB Stagecraft

Postby Guest » 12/06/04 10:12 PM

There is a multitude of Bank Night effects out there including the one Craig Karges used from his Craig Karges Connection book, Pentalock from ReproMagic, and they also used to sell a routine where you had 5 bull dog clips hanging froma stand, each one holding an envelope. One by one an audience members points to an envelope and it is burned while still held in the stand (the performer NEVER touches the envelopes). The last enevelope is removed from the clip by the participant and they open it to find the $100 bill. Not sure if they still sell that one.

Those are just a couple of the ones that come to mind.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
AB Stagecraft
You can find a version of this effect in Mind, Myth, & Magic.
A little plug here: I'll be putting out an ebook soon that has various presentations on the Clear Nite method. Many of the owners have come up with cool handlings and ideas.
We've got ideas from Banachek, Doug Dyment, Peter Arcane and many more.
Greg

Return to Mentalism & Mental Magic