Mental Mysteries - Theory and Practice

Instead of mentally projecting your mentalism thoughts, type them here.

Postby Guest » 04/13/05 09:41 PM

While at the Cavalcade of Magic in Eureka Springs this March, I received a book new to me, that I am really enjoying.

The book is Mental Mysteries - The Theory and Practice of Mentalism by E.R. Hutchison. The copyright date is 1993.

For nearly thiry years I have been performing a trick that was also from this author. The trick is Future Foretold. It is my standard trick for live radio inteviews. I will perform it on the air again tomorrow at an interview at 10AM. It's a great trick and lends itself to use on radio and TV interviews.

I had never met Ed Hutchison before performing at Eureka Springs last month. That was my loss!

There are two tricks from th book I have used and really found good fits into a stage show. One is his Lie Detector (Chapter 13) and the other is Giant Memory Routine (Chapter 11).

Have any of you read this work or used the tricks from it in your shows?

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

Postby Anthony Blake » 04/14/05 08:07 AM

Bob...

I have an earlier, albeit smaller, copy of the Hutchison book titled "Psychological Mysteries" (1977)... mine only has 3 chapters but does include the "Future Foretold" (impromptu version), "Giant Memory" and "Lie Detector" routines...

I have not used the "Future Foretold" routine as of yet but have used a variation of the "Giant Memory" routine... this routine is very similar to George Frega's "Deep Sea Digits" found in Syzygy as well as an effect by my dear friend Jack Kent Tillar found in his book "The Naked Mentalist"... the routine is very effective and impressive and quite easy to do...

I'll have to check and see if I can find a copy of the newer, expanded version of Hutchison's book... his ideas are interesting and quite applicable...

Success!!!

Tony Blake
The Thoughtreader
Anthony Blake

Return to Mentalism & Mental Magic