Laymen discuss Criss Angel

Discuss general aspects of Genii.

Postby Steve Hook » 09/29/05 10:45 AM

First of all, I'm in the camp that supports Criss in his entertainment vision. It's not Slydini doing the one-coin routine, it's a whole other implementation which doesn't have to make close-uppers happy.

With that said, check out:

This discussion of Criss Angel\'s shows

This is absolutely fascinating. Page 2 is particularly interesting but if you have time, read it all. It's a discussion amongst laymen who fall into one of more or less three camps:

1) Criss really does magic/magick.

2) Criss isn't a magician but he used mind control over the live and TV audience (!)

2) Criss is a magician/illusionist using "matted-out/airbrushed wires" and "generic '80s metal band bimbo extras" as "fake audiences".

Interestingly (ironically?), nearly 100% of the relevant comments prefer Blaine's work, generally assigning it more credence for having been performed in more "real" settings. Would you have expected that?

Especially insightful comments for our own reference: "Can't he find a better school-of-acting-for-beginners to get them for free?" and "So much editing and set-up that all the tricks are meaningless...", these from an apparent layman. (But remember that some folks who posted were amazed by the demonstrations and couldn't explain any of them.)

So nothing new: the world is still full of entertainment lovers, naive shut-eyes, and sarcastic cynics.

WHAT, however, can we glean from these comments for ourselves?
Steve Hook

Postby Guest » 09/29/05 11:05 AM

>>>WHAT, however, can we glean from these comments for ourselves? >>>

That these posters are mostly a bunch of kids who want like the dickens to believe in 'magick'?

I especially liked the post which read "My dad says Angel is an illusionist."

Banzai

Postby Gord » 09/29/05 11:13 AM

With all due respect, the board was for conspiracy nuts. Of course they are going to say things like "It's all green screen", or "Special effects" and "Paid Audience", they probably said the same thing about the moon landing.

Gord
Gord

Postby Richard Kaufman » 09/29/05 11:16 AM

You're not getting it: It doesn't matter WHAT they say.
The fact that he's on TV every week and they're talking about it is what's important. That causes more people to watch the show because they want to see what all the hubub's about.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine
Richard Kaufman

Postby Scott Fridinger » 09/29/05 11:24 AM

These guys at that site are funny, amazingly when discussing Blaine one of them actually uses the Balducci name.

Most people I talk to, laymen who know I am into the art, like Angel's shows better than Blaines.
Scott Fridinger

Postby Guest » 09/29/05 01:01 PM

Richard is exactly right.

Blaine who?

Postby mop krayz » 09/29/05 01:08 PM

why don't they just go to see his live show.
does he use a camera trick when he does the buzz saw and chop himself in half?
does he use editing when he performs the metamorphosis...
mop krayz

Postby Jonathan Townsend » 09/29/05 01:12 PM

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
You're not getting it: It doesn't matter WHAT they say.
The fact that he's on TV every week and they're talking about it is what's important. ...
A generation ago a rock n roller dressed up and added glamor to the act. Good for the music biz in general. Do you have to grow your hair, put on a bandanna and talk like an Italian from long island?... NO. But somebody has gotten into the mass media and brought our craft some positive attention. That's the good news.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time
Jonathan Townsend

Postby Steve Hook » 09/29/05 01:34 PM

Originally posted by Steve Hook:
...a discussion amongst laymen who fall into one of more or less three camps:

1) Criss really does magic/magick.

2) Criss isn't a magician but he used mind control over the live and TV audience (!)

2) Criss is a magician/illusionist using "matted-out/airbrushed wires" and "generic '80s metal band bimbo extras" as "fake audiences".

...WHAT, however, can we glean from these comments for ourselves?
I was also wondering what you think YOU can gather from the comments about YOUR act and the audiences perceptions.

For one thing, it reminds me that if you want to blow somebody away, do some good close-up for them. That's one of the few places where you consistently get real astonishment. All hail the close-uppers!
Steve Hook

Postby Scott Fridinger » 09/30/05 12:09 PM

Originally posted by Steve Hook:

For one thing, it reminds me that if you want to blow somebody away, do some good close-up for them. That's one of the few places where you consistently get real astonishment. All hail the close-uppers!
Amen
Scott Fridinger

Postby Guest » 09/30/05 12:51 PM

talk like an Italian from long

island?...
See he's got you fooled, He's a greek from

Long Island..........Mike

Return to General