Needle through arm

Instead of mentally projecting your mentalism thoughts, type them here.

Postby Stefan Fisher » 12/25/02 03:46 PM

I recently purchased "Harry Anderson's Needle Through Arm." The only brand of rubber cement thinner that I've found locally states on the label that it is "heptane formula" and has all sorts of dire warnings on the label. I was wondering if anyone knows of a less toxic substitute or is that just the price you pay for wanting to do this effect?
Stefan Fisher

Postby Guest » 12/25/02 06:33 PM

I recommend you go to a good theatrical make-up supplier and get a bottle of liquid latex. Use it the same way the directions indicate using the rubber cement. Try the rubber cement first, though... if you don't get any irritation or rash then you're probably safe. --Asrah

Postby Guest » 12/26/02 01:00 PM

There are some wonderful surgical adhesives out there (not generally available to the public, but if you have any doc friends...) that work perfectly.

Steve Thomas

Postby Stefan Fisher » 12/26/02 04:55 PM

Thanks for the replies. It's not as much the rubber cement as the thinner used for the clean up that I'm worried about. Any ideas on that?
Stefan Fisher

Postby Oliver Corpuz » 12/26/02 09:33 PM

Stefan,

I rarely perform the needle through the arm, mainly because it creates all sorts of havoc on my skin and it is so realistic that it can make an audience member feint, which has happened to me during one performance.

I suggest you try using spirt gum and spirit gum remover instead of the suggested materials. My experience is that spirit gum remover doesn't work as well as a hepthane or xylene based solvent, but then again it certainly isn't as toxic or harsh on the skin. Spirit gum and spirit gum remover is designed to be used on the skin, and it is safely used daily by members of the theatrical profession. Industrial solvents like heptane and xylene are highly flamable, extremely toxic and can cause serious health problems, even after very brief exposure. Remember, the needle through the arm is just a trick, and a trick ain't worth dying or getting seriously sick over. Those solvents are so toxic that I truly believe it is safer to REALLY stick a sterilized needle in the arm than to use them.

I suggest you get a hold of Harry's "Wise Guy" book published by Mike Caveney and read the section on Harry's thoughts on the needle through the arm trick, and why he thinks it shouldn't be performed. If after reading that section you still decide to perform the trick, at least you'll glean some knowledge from the master on how to do the trick properly.

Regards,

- Oliver
Oliver Corpuz

Postby Guest » 03/03/03 11:15 PM

Oliver,

Spirit Gum and Spirit Gum remover being used in a mentalism/bizarre magic effect--how appropriate!!

Turk

P.S. You mean there's a trick to the needle thru the arm? Darn, I KNEW I should have bought the instructions instead of relying upon the television public performance!!

Postby Guest » 03/04/03 06:13 PM

Originally posted by Oliver Corpuz:
...I suggest you get a hold of Harry's "Wise Guy" book published by Mike Caveney and read the section on Harry's thoughts on the needle through the arm trick, and why he thinks it shouldn't be performed...
- Oliver
How very true BUT most likely it will fall on deaf ears. The same is happening with much other "genre du jour" magicians with spoon bending, hypnosis and anything else that comes along. It's a very sad thing that creativity and originality are so lacking with so many that they instead must copy others, sometimes as clones.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
http://www.stores.ebay.ca/ABstagecraft
Supplying unique Mentalism World-wide

Postby Guest » 03/05/03 08:22 AM

Originally posted by Steve Thomas:
There are some wonderful surgical adhesives out there (not generally available to the public, but if you have any doc friends...) that work perfectly.

Steve Thomas
Considering SUPER GLUE was one of those adhesives, Steve... this thought really makes me nervous... :D

I did the Needle for nearly two-years off and on (during my punk rocker days) and simply got sick and tired of the set-up, the mess, and feeling sticky all the time. It's a neat looking effect and used to be great for shock value but, as Paul points out, it has become overdone (and typically by poor performers) which hurts those of us that invest time and effort into creating a "miracle" out of such concepts vs. another trick.

:mad: It's time to make some serious changes as to how available some of this stuff is :eek:

Postby Guest » 03/28/03 08:51 PM

Rubbing alcohol will take the rubber cement off just fine. Just make sure to shave your arm, otherise the cement will clump up in your arm hairs.

I love the needle through arm, but I can't perform it, alas...the skin on my arm is too tight.

Return to Mentalism & Mental Magic