WTB A Price Guide to Magic Books

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.

Postby Guest » 08/29/07 01:20 PM

wanted- A Price Guide To Magic Books: 1639 - 1990 by Michael Canick

Thanks
Jeff

Postby Guest » 08/29/07 05:28 PM

Hello Jeff,

There are two listed on amazon.com as I speak. One for $40 and one for $49.50.

..Take care..Bruce

Postby Guest » 08/29/07 07:10 PM

Jeff,

As a sort of historical reference source, it has a little value. But as a current pricing guide, dangerous!

C.

Postby Guest » 08/29/07 07:31 PM

Originally posted by Magicam:
Jeff,

As a sort of historical reference source, it has a little value. But as a current pricing guide, dangerous!

C.
Magicam, what do you suggest?

Jeff

Postby Guest » 08/30/07 04:10 AM

Jeff,
Give this one a look - about as up to date as you will find.....
Blue Book of Magic

Hope this helps,

Dave

Postby Guest » 08/30/07 06:02 AM

Thanks Dave.

Jeff

Postby Guest » 08/30/07 06:52 AM

Jeff,
I have the book but as magicam states, outdated. I usually check the following sites for book price averages,
abebooks.com
bookfinder.com
addall.com

Rennie

Postby Guest » 08/30/07 08:01 AM

Rennie,
I use those sites also but the pricing there varies so drastically it hard to get a feel for the correct number.

Jeff

Postby Guest » 08/30/07 09:15 AM

Jeff, Ron's 2007-2008 Blue Book Price Guide is available at H & R, here's a link:
2007-2008 Blue Book Price Guide

Postby Guest » 08/30/07 10:50 AM

Hi Jeff,

Reading from the Good News, Bad News Dept. ....

First off, the first half of the following article might be helpful: http://geniimagazine.com/forum/cgi-bin/ ... 578#000000

Bad news first: there is no single source to turn to when it comes to pricing magic books. Pricing magic books is a form of art. Its not always cut and dried, nor is it always dictated by the market. Price guides like Canicks and Cartlidges serve a valuable, albeit limited, purpose, but only for those people who understand the limitations and biases inherent in such guides. So do general bookseller sites on the internet. As you observed, prices are all over the map and relying on Addall, et al. as a pricing guide carries the same dangers as relying on Canicks guide the spectacled and/or blind leading the blind.

The good news: you clearly want to learn and you have an open mind. For pricing in the near term, your best bet is to make friends with an experienced dealer or collector and find some way to make it worth his while to help you. Many guys like Dick Hatch and Byron Walker will gladly help you with one-off pricing, but it gets burdensome if you toss a whole list at em and ask for pricing. Theres no easy way to learn this game. It takes time and you pay your dues or you just pay.

Clay

Postby Guest » 08/30/07 11:00 AM

Originally posted by Richard Hatch:
Jeff, Ron's 2007-2008 Blue Book Price Guide is available at H & R, here's a link:
2007-2008 Blue Book Price Guide
Richard, I just picked it up from Ron, Had I known I would have bought from H&R.

Jeff

Return to Collector's Marketplace