BLACKSTONE AUCTION

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.

Postby John Smetana » 11/12/02 05:43 PM

Thought some of you New York folks would be interested in the following notice:

Best thoughts,
John Smetana

Posters, costumes and props belonging to famous magicians Harry Blackstone Sr (1885 1065) and his son Harry Blackstone Jr. (1934 1997) will be auctioned online beginning Thursday.

The Blackstones created the most spectacular illusions of the past century, from the "Floating Light Bulb," to the infamous "Zig-Zag Illusion," to "The Vanishing Birdcage." The last high profile magic auction of this type, "The Mulholland Collection," was purchased in 1991 by David Copperfield for over $2 million .

"Because I've been entrusted with upholding the Blackstone family's rich heritage and, as an official Ambassador to the Society of American Magicians (SAM) as well as the International Brotherhood of Magicians (IBM), we're donating a portion of the proceeds to each organization," said Mrs. Harry (Gay) Blackstone Jr.

The auction will be held exclusively on Sothebys.com from November 14 - 24, 2002.

http://www.entertainmentrarities.com

http://www.sothebys.com
John Smetana

Postby Pete Biro » 11/12/02 08:12 PM

Sorry to say this, but the Zig Zag Illusion was created by Robert Harbin and I believe the Vanishing Birdcage was Bautier DeKolta's many years before.

I don't know who created the floating light bulb, and I'd like to know.

But Blackstone (Sr. and Jr.) certainly performed it well.

Matter of fact, Harbin complained to me that Blackstone did the Zig Zag "wrong."
Stay tooned.
Pete Biro

Postby David Alexander » 11/13/02 09:16 AM

Pete wants to know who invented the Floating Light Bulb. Like so many things in magic, the truth is hidden, that is published, and then ignored.

In late 1929 or early 1930, Frank Hall of Gladwyne, Pennsylvania presented his invention of the Floating Light Blub to an SAM group in his home.

He sold it to several prominent professionals and then suddenly found it being sold to the general magic public, most notably by Burling Hull.

The matter was discussed at an SAM meeting and reported in a 1931 issue of The Sphinx and then ignored. Hull's ads continued and credit slipped away from Hall. There was no hue and cry over credit, no demands by magic magazines for proper crediting, no letters to the editor, because Burling Hull was a dealer and Frank Hall wasn't part of the "in crowd." Little has changed today.
David Alexander

Postby Pete Biro » 11/13/02 06:01 PM

Good olde Hurling Bull... :eek: :p :eek:
Stay tooned.
Pete Biro

Return to Collector's Marketplace