Great Magic Book Store

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.

Postby Brad A._dup1 » 11/15/01 11:46 PM

Depending on your location in the United States (or World) this may be of interest to you.

I've recently become aquatinted with a bookstore in Fullerton California that has some fantastic finds. Old magic books, new magic books, rare, unusual, first editions, and then some!

Called "Aladdin's Books" it's located in downtown Fullerton. (In case you don't know where that is, it's about 15 minutes away from Disneyland)

The shop isn't just magic, it has many second-hand books about movies, television, and other miscellaneous topics. I saw books about screenplays, and books about the 1964-65 NY World's Fair.

Going back to the topic you all may be interested in...

There was a very long row of shelves devoted to magic books. A generous stock were older books. While a smaller area had rather new books. (Some of these "newer" books are even marked down in price)

I was planning on spending less than an hour there.. and found myself there for 2 and a half!

There is also an area of the store filled with lecture notes and booklets. I found lecture notes dating to the 40s (yes, yes, I know it isn't that old)

If you can get to this shop, it's a great place. You might just find some good bargains.

Any other places like this in S. California?
-Brad
Former Vonnegut Character
Brad A._dup1

Postby Guest » 11/16/01 04:37 AM

Do they have a webpage?

Peter Grning

Postby Guest » 11/16/01 06:11 AM

You can reach Aladdin Books through the Advanced Book Exchange:

browse magic at Aladdin Books

cheers, Doug

Postby Guest » 11/16/01 07:34 AM

Brad,

Aladdins is a great shop. John Cannon is one of the nicest guys around. I love to go in there and just talk with him. I been going there for the last 10 years or so. You will find a lot of rare things there, things other magic shops don't carry. If you're ever in the area Aladdins is the place to go.

Ed Fultz
Ed The Magic Guy

Postby Dustin Stinett » 11/16/01 09:37 AM

Originally posted by Doug Peters:
You can reach Aladdin Books through the Advanced Book Exchange

However, this site has only a tiny fraction of John's inventory.

John is a true gentleman and his shop, even though not just a "magic shop" per se, is my favorite. If you are in Southern California, be sure to plan visit - but leave plenty of time; you'll need it. It is very easy to spend hours in there in an attempt to see everything (which is impossible, I think).

Dustin
Dustin Stinett

Postby Steve Hook » 11/17/01 12:22 AM

Great store! Three years ago I only got to spend an hour and a half there, then had to rush back to catch a plane at the Ontario airport. I was the last person aboard...I don't think they understood about how hard it was for a magic guy to leave a magic book store.

I love pamphlets and booklets, in addition to books, of course. There was quite a collection of booklets, sorted by genre, e.g., card magic or mentalism.

Besides a couple of booklets, I also got Max Abrams' huge ANNEMANN compilation. That alone made my day and trip!

Thanks for a great experience, John Cannon.

Steve H

[ November 16, 2001: Message edited by: Steve Hook ]
Steve Hook

Postby Brad A._dup1 » 11/17/01 01:27 AM

leave plenty of time

... how hard it was for a magic guy to leave a magic book store

Yes, you must leave A LOT OF TIME to go through. I only had a chance to glimpse over the entire stock... but not enough time to go into all the books that caught my fancy.

-brad

[ November 17, 2001: Message edited by: bradmagic ]
Brad A._dup1

Postby Guest » 11/17/01 04:36 AM

Originally posted by Doug Peters:
You can reach Aladdin Books through the Advanced Book Exchange:

browse magic at Aladdin Books

cheers, Doug

Thanks Doug!

Peter Grning

Postby Brad A._dup1 » 11/17/01 11:51 AM

... what's this Advanced Book Exchange?

-ba
Brad A._dup1

Postby Guest » 11/17/01 01:28 PM

Advanced book exchange is a single site that brings together most antiquarian and rare book dealers: http://www.abe.com/

John really is a wonderful man, and no, there isn't any other store comparable to Alladin's in So. Calif.

Postby David Prouty » 11/17/01 02:34 PM

All this talk reminds me of Richard Hatch and Charlie Randall's "H & R Books" which is an absolute MUST for any member of this forum to visit while in Houston (only minutes away from Houston's Bush Airport). They have literally thousands of hard to find, offbeat, rare items along with all of the contemporary, most very recent titles.
David Prouty

Postby Guest » 11/17/01 02:43 PM

H&R is another wonderful book dealer. Richard (who I'm more used to dealing with) goes out of his way to help you find a book.

Postby Guest » 11/17/01 05:43 PM

I have to give an additional compliment to Richard at H&R. He spends whatever time is necessary on the phone to assist me in finding the books that are just what I require ( and I am usually looking for very specific objectives ). Additionally, everything always goes out either same or next day. Thank you, Richard.

Postby Guest » 11/18/01 02:48 PM

I also would like to say that I really appreciate H & R.

I've only been in contact with Richard, but it is a always a pleasure.

Peter Grning

Postby Guest » 12/03/01 11:27 PM

Aladdin's is also a great place to find Genii back issues! Ask John when you are there, he has many packaged by year. Also a great place to find lecture notes, I have found many nice surprises there!

Thanks,
John Zander

Return to Collector's Marketplace