Nouvelles Récréations Physiques et Mathématiques

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.

Postby Peter Vanspauwen » 08/13/02 05:26 PM

About 30 years ago I got a French magic book "Nouvelles Rcrations Physiques et Mathmatiques". It's written by M. Guyot and printed in Paris in 1786.
This book covers tricks and puzzles with numbers, magic squares, chess puzzles, sleight of hand with cups and balls and cards, apparatus magic, experiments with inventions of that time. There's also a description of the principle that is used in the Himber wallet.
The book is the third volume of a series of three. For many years I try to find the other two volumes which contain items with magnetism, electricity, geometry, mirrors, fire, air, ...
I wonder if someone could give me more info on the first volumes or point me to someone who owns at least one of them.

Thank you in advance

Peter
Peter Vanspauwen

Postby Guest » 12/15/02 11:32 PM

Peter,

Can you please contact me about this volume. I may have some amazing news for you.

Postby Peter Vanspauwen » 12/16/02 09:56 AM

Originally posted by New Guy:
Peter,

Can you please contact me about this volume. I may have some amazing news for you.
Hi New Guy,
I'm very curious about the news. I'm lurking frequently in this forum, so feel free to inform me through the Genii forum. You can also reach me at petervanspauwen@msn.com . Thanks in advance.
Peter
Peter Vanspauwen

Postby David Regal » 12/16/02 11:00 AM

If there is indeed some amazing news, please share it with the rest of us.
David Regal

Postby Peter Vanspauwen » 12/16/02 03:29 PM

The best source on Internet I found until now is at this URL : "Nouvelles Rcrations...." . Scans of all the pages of the three volumes are there to view. It must have been a huge job to create these pages.
Especially the hand drawn picture are worth looking at. I don't know how they were scanned, but the pictures in the book I own are hand colored ones, while this web site only displays black and white pictures. Perhaps the editors didn't care to color the more recent editions (1799 on the web site) and perhaps only the earlier editions (1786 says mine) contain color graphics.

In volume III the most interesting chapters are : "Rcrations sur les Nombres" (describing several number tricks and puzzles), "Rcrations sur l'adresse des Mains" (sleight of hand with the cups and balls), "Subtilits et Adresse des Mains" and "Tours de Cartes" (containing card tricks either self working or using sleight of hand or gaffed cards) and "Rcrations sur la Mchanique" (which include a nice preceder of the Himber Wallet).

To give an idea the content of the book, I give an example of an effect in several chapters :
- Number tricks : How you can name a number someone was thinking of, without asking one single question (...) (17th rcration, p.43);
- Cups and balls : Penetrate a ball through all the cups... p. 188 (enjoy the well known picture at p. 179 - planche 8).
- Card tricks : How to change a card under a spectator's hand (p. 249 - well, a duplicate is used here).

Reading such antiques makes one consider how hard it is to be original and above all how much we can learn from "the old ones" ;-)

Peter
Peter Vanspauwen

Return to Collector's Marketplace