February 2002 issue of Genii

Discuss general aspects of Genii.

Postby Steve Bryant » 01/16/02 07:36 PM

The February issue arrived today. The single most amazing fact I've read in ages is that Jon Racherbaumer has never entered the Haunted Mansion. Holy moly. Jon, head on over to Orlando and have some fun! Unless, of course, you are afraid of ghosts. (I AM afraid of that Twilight Zone elevator and won't ride it, but that's another story.)
Steve Bryant

Postby Brad A._dup1 » 01/16/02 08:53 PM

Jon will eventually have fun. He has more fun calling me a "Disney Wacko" though.

-brad
Former Vonnegut Character
Brad A._dup1

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » 01/17/02 07:25 AM

Got my issue yesterday Jan. 16. Didn't open it yet. Saving it for the plane ride to Florida on my upcoming business trip this Saturday. Perfect timing !!!
Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Guest » 01/17/02 08:26 AM

Got mine yesterday.

Postby Bruce Arnold » 01/17/02 07:03 PM

Arrived in St. Petersburg, FL today.

Bruce Arnold
Bruce Arnold

Postby Terry » 01/18/02 08:13 AM

Mine arrived 1/17.
Terry

Postby Guest » 01/18/02 12:10 PM

I didn't get my copy yet, but as usual, my local magic shop did. The issue looks good, as usual. I wish, however, that when doing issues on people like Giovanni, you would focus more on the business side. Not how to do tricks with crackers, as much as how to work with corporate clients, etc. I know he talks about it a bit, but not enough. I'm interested in seeing Genii cater more to the professional.

Postby Alain Roy » 01/18/02 12:54 PM

That's an interesting reaction, Mr. Blaze. I thoroughly enjoyed the Giovanni article, and not because of the magic tricks, though I am an amateur. Ever since I read it, I've been contemplating my comfort zones and how I stay in them. I think I have something to learn from Giovanni.

I guess each person gets something different out of any given article though. Leraning more about how he conducts his business would certainly also be interesting.

You say "I'm interested in seeing Genii cater more to the professional". I suspect that Genii needs to cater to their intended audience. I would guess there are more amateurs than professionals, so Genii would be more likely to stay in business catering to amateurs. I could well be wrong though. Perhaps Mr. Kaufmann can shed some light on the this?

-alain
Alain Roy

Postby Richard Kaufman » 01/18/02 06:02 PM

John,
Giovanni and many other successful corporate magicians have spent years honing their skills in the business world. Most of them do not want to share that information for free. I've never asked Gio specifically about it, but that would be my assumption.
But, he's a can-do guy!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine
Richard Kaufman

Postby Guest » 01/18/02 06:46 PM

Hope International Magic or Davenports (London) have got the Feb issue in. I'm popping over there tomorrow. Can't wait!

Postby Jon Racherbaumer » 01/18/02 08:30 PM

Several years ago during a confab with some semi-pros and pros I broached the subject of the feasibility of a magazine or newsletter aimed at fellow professionals. Most did NOT summarily dismiss this notion as being daft. However, almost everyone agreed that few pros would contribute anything or tip the good stuff. There was already too much encroachment from the amateur ranks.

Amateurs tend to share ideas.
Pros, on the other hand, spend years gaining hard-earned inside info. They do not want to share it with competitors or not-ready-for-prime-time players. Why should they? Especially, as RK points out, for FREE.

I cannot speak for RK, but GENII has an eclectic group of subscribers. We want to raise the bar at every level, but our articles must have a wide appeal, not a narrow or specialized one.

Onward...
Jon Racherbaumer

Postby Richard Kaufman » 01/18/02 10:18 PM

I think JR frequently speaks very well for RK, and that's why we work well together! :)
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine
Richard Kaufman

Postby sleightly » 01/18/02 10:27 PM

Not wanting necessarily to promote another magazine in this forum (although I will anyway), I might suggest that there is a magazine already focused on professional performers. It began as a magazine for restaurant and bar magicians and has since been revamped (after ten years and 60 issues of publication) into a quarterly professional journal for the working close-up magician.

I speak of course, of The Magic Menu.

I might suggest that any interested parties check out the latest copy, Issue 61, available now. For more information, click the following link:

The Magic Menu

If you are into the business of magic, I think you might like what you see...

ajp

[ January 18, 2002: Message edited by: Andrew J. Pinard ]
sleightly

Postby Rene Clement » 01/22/02 09:26 PM

Feb. issue finally arrived today to my part of New York city.
Rene Clement

Postby Pete Biro » 01/22/02 09:30 PM

My magazine usually gets here a week late. But I have noticed our postman asking people to take cards on his route. :D :D :D
Stay tooned.
Pete Biro

Postby Guest » 01/23/02 12:46 PM

I got mine in Lexington MA 1/22/02. You know I am glad that Gio didn't give tons of info on the trade show stuff, I am always greatful when a pro tips their work on somthing but at the same time I feel as if I am being spoon fed when I should being out their performing and getting my own "work".

Postby Guest » 01/23/02 10:41 PM

Got mine on 1/22/02. Haven't had a chance to read through it yet.

Postby walkinoats » 01/26/02 05:27 PM

Feb issue arrived 1/25/02
Brooklyn, N.Y.
walkinoats

Postby Raj Madhok » 01/26/02 09:53 PM

Richard,

Gio's issue arrived in Mineapolis Jan. 26th. I've been waiting a few years for "Shaker and Silver" to see the printed page.

Last month's issue reached here Dec. 17th.

Congrats on the new addition to your family. So is the next one going to be named Jeannie?

Best,
Raj
Raj Madhok

Postby Guest » 01/28/02 04:13 PM

I just wanted to add to Richard & Jon's responses to John Blaze. There is certainly nothing wrong with being interested in the business of magic. I also agree that most Genii readers would find it very dull. Being a successful corporate magician is the same as being any other type of successful small or home businessperson who's primary clients are corporations. There is plenty of information and advice on this readily available (check out the Small Business Administration for starters.) Jon has an excellent point with regard to the "Not-ready-for-prime-time" magicians. Your "product" must be of the highest quality to be sellable in the corporate market. You will, after all, be competing with potential clients who are used to the quality of product that Gio, Paul Gertner, Tim Conover, Charles Greene and other successful corporate magicians provide.
Additionally, everyone is different, and every successful corporate magician I know has "made it" in a different way (the unifying factor again being the extremely high quality product they provided.)
Mike Rogers was kind enough to give me some words of advice when I was eager to become a trade show magician, so out of respect for him, I will humbly offer you some words. Learn how to sell. Take the best sales course you can afford (Dale Carnegie & Tom Hopkins are both excellent). Being a viable small business means making sales. You won't learn that from a magician, you'll learn it from a sales trainer. The biggest secret I know is that there is no secret other than doing excellent magic, learning how to make it relevant in the corporate world (most likely by trial and error) and by selling your butt off. When you begin to read sales books and magazines with the same excitement and obsession that you now read magic magazines and books, you'll be on your way. IMHO.

Return to General