NY Symposium Softbounds

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.

Postby Steve Mills » 06/22/02 01:15 AM

I've been getting rid of my softbound books - just palin outta room.

I know we discussed the hardbound items, but I found a softbound by Minch entitled:

The New York Magic Symposium - State Of The Art Series Presents Volume Two - Bro. John Hamman's Seven Deadly Miracles - Further Card Magic of Bro. John Hamman, S.M. (WHew!)

Anyone familiar with this series....

Later....
Steve
Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.. – John Wayne
Steve Mills

Postby Frank Yuen » 06/22/02 07:29 AM

That manuscript is one of two special lecture notes that were produced for, I believe, the first Symposium. Volume One is Jeff McBride's "Changing the Face of Magic" manuscript. I don't believe there were any others in the series.

Frank Yuen
Frank Yuen

Postby Richard Kaufman » 06/22/02 10:23 AM

These were produced by Adam Fleischer for the third Symposium in, I think, 1984 (I'm basing this on the fact that a trick of Hamman's "Phoenix Four," appears in the third Symposium book).
The Hamman book was produced illegally. In other words, Fleischer requested some tricks for a set of lecture notes that he would produce for Brother Hamman, and then give Hamman the bulk of the money. Once Fleischer procurred the tricks, he sent them to Stephen Minch with the instructions that a book be prepared. Hamman was not aware of this, Minch was not aware that Hamman had not given his consent.
To make matters worse, the title "Seven Deadly Miracles" was chosen.
When Hamman arrived at the convention (I personally witnessed this), he was furious because a book had been published without his consent; he hated the title; and Fleischer tried to force him to take less money than had been agreed upon for both the book and his convention appearance!
Stephen Minch was mortified that he had unwittingly written a book for which Hamman had not given consent.
The whole story is very sad.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine
Richard Kaufman

Postby Dustin Stinett » 06/22/02 11:42 AM

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
These were produced by Adam Fleischer for the third Symposium in, I think, 1984
You are correct. I know, because handling the books & stuff was my job at the San Francisco event.

I was not at all aware of the controversy behind the Hamman notes. It makes me mad because Adam was one of my very best friends at the time. It's no wonder he kept it from me because he probably knew that I would have sat on him.

Dustin
Dustin Stinett

Postby Rene Clement » 06/22/02 03:20 PM

Regarding the history of this publication "Seven Deadly Miracles, in the July 1,1984 foreword Stephen Minch writes about turning the lecture notes into the book. It really seems like good intentions were meant by both Adam and Stephen. Here are a few lines from that foreword.
"The odd thing about this collection is that it was not originally meant to be a book....I couldn't help feeling that a collection such as this deserved something more than a terse lecture-note treatment. It cried out for a detailed presentation that would make Bro. John's material fully accessible to those magicians separated by either time or space from the exclusive 1984 magic convention lectures....I called Adam and asked for permission to rewrite the material....He consented and here we are."
Rene Clement

Postby Richard Kaufman » 06/22/02 05:14 PM

No one doubts Minch's good intentions, and my earlier statement that it was Fleischer's idea was obviously incorrect, but Fleischer had no right to agree to letting the material be turned into a book without first consulting Brother Hamman, which he didn't.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine
Richard Kaufman

Postby Ruben Padilla » 06/23/02 07:25 PM

Steve, does all this mean that you are looking to sell the notes/book, and if so, how much? (just curious..)

Also, because of the controversy, perhaps the book should not be sold?
Visit www.MagiciansOnly.com for exclusive book, trick, DVD, & convention reviews!
Ruben Padilla

Postby Steve Mills » 06/24/02 03:48 PM

Originally posted by Ruben Padilla:
Steve, does all this mean that you are looking to sell the notes/book, and if so, how much? (just curious..)
Ruben,

Sorry, didn't know anybody here might be interested. Already on Ebay as part of a group. Started at 2 bucks, I believe.

Take Care.....
Steve
Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.. – John Wayne
Steve Mills

Return to Collector's Marketplace