Magifest

Discuss general aspects of Genii.

Postby Adam Brooks » 02/06/02 07:49 PM

Hi all,

The annual Columbus Magifest came and went this year, and between January 31st and February 3rd, there was some phenomenal magic, great sessioning, and a few VERY memorable moments. John Carney, Mike Caveney, Tina Lenert, Josh Jay, Tim Ellis and Sue-Anne Webster, Oscar Muoz, Martin Lewis and many others graced the close-up show arena, and the big stage. We even had a surprise appearance by David Williamson!

The talk of the convention was Tim Ellis' Resurrection Soda. For those unfamiliar with it: A can of soda is popped, and emptied into some cups. The can is obviously empty. It is slighty crushed, and placed aside. Later, Tim picks the can back up, and with no funny business, begins to "travel back in time". First, the wrinkles uncrinkle themselves. Then, the top VISIBLY reseals itself. And finally, he pops the top, and pours out almost a full can's worth of soda! The whole is thing is truly a wonder to behold; no dodgy movements. The method is, of course, just as amazing as the effect.

Carney came out as the infamous Mr. Mysto for the All-Star show, and I have never continuously laughed so hard in my life! Typically, when I see "character-based" acts, some of the magic is compromised in order to devote more energy to staying in character. Not so here. Carney's character is simply marvelous: a magical moron with and ego the size of Texas. And his magic was absolutely flawless. When he dripped the cake batter into that poor man's shoe, I nearly burst.

My personal favorite moment of the convention happened the first night. It was around 12:30 am, and I was fortunate enough to have snagged a seat at the table Carney and Williamson were sitting at. They were both very polite and happy to offer help with anything: Williamson helped me with my second and bottom dealing, while Carney was giving others pointers on tension release during an effect. Anyways, there was one kid, about 17 years old, who was being an incredible jack*ss. He was mocking stuff that Carney had lectured on earlier that night, and was knocking a few of Williamson's published tricks. You could tell they were both pissed at him, but they both kept their cool.

Finally, Williamson made his move. He borrowed the guy's deck, had him select one and return it.

"This is the amazing Rising Card Trick. We need a glass..." Williamson said, and he eyed a glass half full of soda in the center of the table. "Here we go!" And he shoved the deck straight down into the glass! Soda spilled out over the edge, the deck ruined.

"Oooh, I'm sorry. Maybe you'll do that to some punk kid 20 years from now."

The kid got the point.

It was a great time, fun was had by all. Can't wait until next year.

Adam
Adam Brooks

Postby Sean Piper » 02/06/02 08:46 PM

Does anyone have photos of the event? In particular, I'd like to track down some pics of Ellis & Webster, as I'm tracking their progress around the globe.

Cheers!
Sean Piper

Postby Pete Biro » 02/06/02 10:46 PM

e of a great bit Frank Shield`s [bartender mage in Oakland, C!alif,] where when a customer, after Frank had done some really amazing card work, s`aid`, "I can do a card trick, gimme the deck." Frank would say, "Sure, just a second the cards are dirty, lemme clean 'm." He would then dump the cards into the sink, wash 'em and hand the dope a soaking wet deck of cards, :D :D :D :D :D
Stay tooned.
Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » 02/06/02 10:47 PM

last message typo... should havr started with "Reminds me..." :o
Stay tooned.
Pete Biro

Return to General