2006 Dallas Super Session

Discuss general aspects of Genii.

Postby Guest » 04/04/06 12:05 AM

The fourth Dallas Super Session, a loose get together of magicians from around the country, was held on Saturday, March 18. About 28 magicians met at the Wynam Hotel in Dallas for some friendly sessioning and a chance to perform for their peers. No registration, no officers, just a $20 donation to cover the room costs.

The attendees this year were, in order of performance:

Eric DeCamps - Brass Ball and Vase( I want one of these) with candle production, Grandma's necklace, and the best cubio in the word ( I want this one too) using a bocci ball with a hole drilled through it.
George Ferrin - One of the Monday Night Gang, george performed is own The Death Ot The King card trick

Bobby Plaut - Ten Card Poker variation with a surprise ending

John Kline - Hartling's Chaos

Jared Kopf - Two card location with aces

Norman Beck (new Genii columnist) - A bill routine and a poem with a happy ending.

Jordan Burgess - Lie detector card trick

James Robinson - A beautiful apparatus trick called True Love

Mike Squires - No More Nightmares (Mike needs to market this so I can use it)

Roger Klause - Spectator stops on the secected card

Brian Nordstrom - Very nice version of the Prayer Vase that he uses in his restaraunt shows

Christopher Hanna - Aces through the table ( looked great)

Barrie Richardson - Bill In Lemon (Amazing. Buy his books.)

Tom Gaudette - Spectator locates on selection effect

Mark Jensen - Neat Out Of This World variation

Brad Henderson - (reviewer for MAGIC) instead of a mentalism effect, this year a card trick where cards became
invisible and the visible again. ( I liked this one a lot)

Gary Plants - Kings and sevens transpose from hands to pockets (this one too)

Ian Richards - A very strange ( and funny) routine where all the predictions were wrong.

Rick Schulz - Chinese Stick routine with a kicker ending

Claude Crow - Card to wallet routine

Jason Womack - Thought of cards across

Pix Smith - 4 ace routine

Greg Curtis - Destiny card trick

Van McGee - Gypsy Monte

John Wilson - Very strange bottom deal demonstration

Jerry Guyer - Chop Cup & Coins Across

Mack Ed Swindle - Ring and String routine

Bob White - Torn and Rstored Napkin (watch or the DVD)

Paul Euler - Spellbound routine

After a short break, Roger Klause, Bob White and Jared Kopf held a mini teach-in as a bonus.
After dinner we all gathered to view some video clips of Charlie Miller doing his standup material. Rice Bowls routine is very funny.
Sunday morning there was a Vernon video presentation, that included some clips from Canadian TV, that was inspiring.

Early arivals visited on Friday night, and late leavers on Monday morning. All decided to do it again next year.

Van

Postby Eric DeCamps » 04/06/06 04:55 PM

Van:

I have to say that every time I visit Dallas I have a great time. This years Dallas Super Session (BTW the ORIGINAL Super Session) was a terrific one.

Glad you liked the ball and vase routine. About 13 years ago you could have picked up a set along with my handling. Unfortunately the vases are no longer being manufactured. Now if there was some more interest, maybe I could convince the guy to manufacture them again.

Also glad that you liked my newest addition. The cubio routine is still a work in progress but I am having a lot of fun with it.

As a final note to all, this years TAOM in Dallas is not to be missed. The talent the committee has managed to put together is one of the best line ups I have seen in years. For those of you who are not familiar with the Magic Community in Texas, I strongly urge you to attend the convention to see what I am talking about. I guarantee that if you show up to TAOM 2006 you will have a grand old time!

Eric DeCamps
Eric DeCamps

Postby John LeBlanc » 04/06/06 05:15 PM

Originally posted by Eric DeCamps:
As a final note to all, this years TAOM in Dallas is not to be missed. The talent the committee has managed to put together is one of the best line ups I have seen in years. For those of you who are not familiar with the Magic Community in Texas, I strongly urge you to attend the convention to see what I am talking about. I guarantee that if you show up to TAOM 2006 you will have a grand old time!
The line up is incredible and, at the risk of sounding like a fanboy, it was seeing your name on the list that sealed the deal for me.

For anyone interested, here's the official web site for TAOM 2006: http://www.taom2006.com/

John
new blog post: Cheung phooey.

http://www.escamoteurettes.com/blog/
John LeBlanc

Postby Eric DeCamps » 04/07/06 03:13 PM

John:

Thats very nice of you to say. I hope that I do not disappoint. The good thing is that if I do, I know the Rene and the rest of the bill will not.

Look forward to seeing you in Dallas.

Best,

Eric DeCamps
Eric DeCamps

Postby Bill McFadden » 04/07/06 05:38 PM

Funny this coming from an unrepentant leftist Yankee, but the more I know about Texas' magicians and the Texas magic scene, the more I envy Texas!

Could there possibly be a more incredible line-up than what TAOM 2006 is offering? You Lone Star staters really know how to do things right!

The day Eric DeCamps dissapoints his audience or peers is the day they start making ice sculptures in Hades . . . and that's the dang truth!

Viva Tejas!
McF

P.S. Hey Eric, is Rene going to tour again this trip, or is TAOM his only stop?
Bill McFadden

Postby Guest » 04/07/06 08:45 PM

Dallas Super Session was great as usual. Great job with the report Van. If you want to come to THE convention, be sure and make it to TAOM this year. It will be awesome.

Eric,

Your ball and vase was great....so was the bead routine.... They were both awesome. Can't wait to see you in August.

Jordan

Postby Guest » 04/12/06 08:50 PM

Hi,

To answer Bill's question, Rene is just coming over for the TAOM convention and then he will be heading back home.

For more information about the great talent and on registering you can go to:

TAOM 2006 Info

Hope to see you all this Labor Day weekend.

Best,

Mark Jensen
Talent Chairman

Postby Richard Kaufman » 04/12/06 09:19 PM

Man! What a killer line-up for the TAOM.
I wasn't planning on going, but now I REALLY have to reconsider!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine
Richard Kaufman

Return to General