ERDNASE on eBay

Discuss general aspects of Genii.

Postby Guest » 07/23/05 07:29 PM

I'm a rare book dealer looking for information on the auction prices brought by a First Edition of Erdnase at auction.

I noticed from published book auction records that a copy sold at Swann's in 1981 for $160.

I understand that two copies sold more recently on eBay - one in 2003 (possibly the copy mentioned by Richard Kaufman in a Genii Forum post of Oct. 2003?) and another in 2004.

I'd very much like to know the selling price of either or both of these copies. I saw some mention of $3,000, but another reference to $10,000.

If anyone has this exact information, prices and dates, I'd be very grateful if you'd either post it, or pass it along by e-mail.

Thanks in advance,
Richard Smith
Greyhavens Rare Books
Soquel, California

Postby Richard Hatch » 07/23/05 11:07 PM

We (H & R Magic Books www.magicbookshop.com ) sold Martin Gardner's First Edition copy, signed on the title page by the book's illustrator, along with Gardner's correspondence with the illustrator, and his correspondence with Edgar Pratt, who led Gardner to the Erdnase=Milton Franklin Andrews theory, along with some other Erdnase related documents, on eBay in February or March of 2000 where the lot sold for slightly over $10,000. This was and remains an astonishingly high price, especially as the book itself was in very poor condition (and described as such). I do not know of any first edition copies by themselves to have sold for more than $3,000. I was able to purchase a very good copy from a reputable and knowledgeable magic dealer for less than $1,000 last November. A copy sold at Swann's in the Tom Blue auction in January 2004 for under $1,000. Many copies listed on eBay and elsewhere as first editions are not, but because they have the 1902 copyright statement are mistakenly so identified. I currently know the whereabouts of more than 70 true first editions, so it is not a rare book, though a highly desireable one, especially in good condition. If you have a first edition, I would love to know about it, as I am always adding to my list tracking them! Feel free to contact me privately (contact information is on our website).
Richard Hatch

Postby Guest » 07/24/05 12:20 AM

Thanks very much. Sorry, I don't know of a First Edition; I'm just working on a private project in which the information on the auction value of a 1st will be a handy footnote.

Incidentally, I noticed this minor coincidence: McKinney, who printed the Erdnase 1st, seems to have had some working relationship with the Chicago publishing house of Jamieson-Higgins. (A children's book published in 1902, the same year as Erdnase, was printed by McKinney; some copies show the publisher as Jamieson-Higgins). Two years earlier, in 1900, Jamieson-Higgins also published JACK POTS, STORIES OF THE GREAT AMERICAN GAME by Eugene Edwards, an early classic on American Poker.

Postby Jason England » 07/24/05 01:01 AM

Richard,

I purchased a true FE on eBay in late summer/early fall of 2004. I paid between $1200 - 1400 for it.

The book was formerly in the Jack Avis collection, and is in truly remarkable condition (in my opinion). I couldn't be happier with it.

Check out this page for some information on various editions of the book: Richard Hatch has been helping me with some of this information, but any errors remain my own, since I type every word on the site for the most part.

http://www.nls.physics.ucsb.edu/~nathan ... index.html

Jason England
Jason England

Postby Guest » 07/24/05 11:34 AM

Two years earlier, in 1900, Jamieson-Higgins also published JACK POTS, STORIES OF THE GREAT AMERICAN GAME by Eugene Edwards, an early classic on American Poker.
Eugene Edwards / S.W. Erdnase

VERY close.... Curious, has this 'lead' been followed before?

Postby Richard Hatch » 07/24/05 12:33 PM

Originally posted by D. Conn:
Eugene Edwards / S.W. Erdnase

VERY close.... Curious, has this 'lead' been followed before?
It's a new one to me.
ERDNASE
EDWARDS
Each share 5 of their 7 letters (and the missing/different letters are in the initals/name). Probaby a coincidence, but I wonder if JACKPOTS sounds anything like Erdnase? Anyone have access to a copy?
Richard Hatch

Postby Edwin Corrie » 07/24/05 02:23 PM

Sorry I can't help with the original question, but I did like the Erdnase website. One edition not included there is the hardback version of "Card Mastery", also published in 1944 by the Circle Magic Shop. But I'm sure you know about this already...
Edwin Corrie

Postby Jason England » 07/24/05 02:38 PM

Thanks Edwin,

There are actually several editions of Erdnase missing from the page. I have a few of them, and Richard Hatch has most of the others.

When I visit him in a few weeks I'm going to try and take the necessary pictures to complete the page.

I have a HB Mastery here at my house, I just haven't put it up yet.

Jason
Jason England

Return to General