Ortiz in NYC!

Discuss general aspects of Genii.

Ortiz in NYC!

Postby Guest » December 15th, 2002, 8:32 pm

I just wanted to say that this past Friday (Dec. 13th) Darwin Ortiz gave one heck of a lecture based on his new book "Scams & Fantasies with Cards".

The lecture was put together by Michael Canick of Canick's Booksellers (www.canick.com)here in NYC. Ortiz is a true professional, he almost canceled the lecture due to him not feeling well but realized it would be almost impossible to contact all attendees at the last minute.

Ortiz performed and explained some incredible card magic! He was very courteous and insightful, humorous, witty and very informative. Overall, a truly nice guy.

Thanks Michael for helping to keep magic alive in NYC! Keep 'em coming.

Roberto

Jim Maloney_dup1

Re: Ortiz in NYC!

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » December 15th, 2002, 9:03 pm

Originally posted by mrmagik:
The lecture was put together by Michael Canick of Canick's Booksellers (www.canick.com)here in NYC. Ortiz is a true professional, he almost canceled the lecture due to him not feeling well but realized it would be almost impossible to contact all attendees at the last minute.
I was there as well -- although I could tell that Darwin wasn't in top condition, it was still a great lecture and I really appreciate Darwin continuing on despite being sick. As you said, he is a true professional.

The book is good. Not a whole lot of new material, but we are treated to Darwin's handling of some classic effects. Definitl worth some study.

-Jim

John LeBlanc

Postby John LeBlanc » December 16th, 2002, 8:30 am

Originally posted by Jim Maloney:
The book is good. Not a whole lot of new material, but we are treated to Darwin's handling of some classic effects. Definitl worth some study.
I can't wait to get my copy in. I couldn't make it to the lecture, but Michael was kind enough to sell me a copy of the book anyway. <g>

John LeBlanc
Houston, TX

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 16th, 2002, 9:47 am

Why was it "kind" of Canick to sell you the book? He's a dealer!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

John LeBlanc

Postby John LeBlanc » December 16th, 2002, 10:03 am

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
Why was it "kind" of Canick to sell you the book? He's a dealer!
Indeed he is a dealer, and my favorite kind: friendly, knowledgeable, does what he says he's going to do when he says he's going to do it. That sort of makes him a "rare bookseller" in my book.

BTW "kind enough" remark I made was followed by a "<g>"

John LeBlanc
Houston, TX

Return to “General”