Wanted: Johnny Platt Indian Style Cups and Balls

Your doorway to those rare collectibles that everyone is searching for: books, props, posters, cards, and paper ephemera are all here for you to buy and sell.

Postby Guest » 04/22/02 07:59 PM

Hello,
I am looking for a set of the Johnny Platt cups in excellent - mint condition, including routine and ball producing wand.

Thanks!
tr
:cool:

Postby George Olson » 04/23/02 02:35 PM

Check with Pete Biro. He will be at Stan Kramiens Magic Jamboree Memorial Day week-end here in Oregon.

George
George Olson

Postby Pete Biro » 04/23/02 07:06 PM

I may have a fairly nice set of Johnny Platt cups, altho I thought George Olsen was first in line?

Don't know about a ball producing WAND, but there is a holder that fits inside a bag for a group of balls... I have one but it is NFS.

Email moi...
Stay tooned.
Pete Biro

Postby George Olson » 04/24/02 07:25 AM

Si! Si!

Look for e-mail.

Just trying to be helpful.

George
George Olson

Postby Guest » 04/24/02 06:18 PM

Pete does have just one set for sale at this time and also does not have a ball holder for sale. So, thanks for the tip, but I am still looking.
Cordially,
tr

Postby Guest » 05/04/02 05:50 AM

I Have Ball producing wands.

Reesman

Postby Pete Biro » 05/04/02 07:35 AM

What are ball producing wands? Any pix anywhere to see? :D
Stay tooned.
Pete Biro

Postby Guest » 05/04/02 11:45 AM

Ball producing wand????always thought it was the move, using any old wand, Platt was a good friend of mine,,he certainly did not use any kind of special wand.

Postby Guest » 05/04/02 12:00 PM

OK, OK..."Ball producing wand" is my term. The Platt Cups and Balls set came with a hollow wooden (I think) tube (wand) for ball storage. I called it a ball producing wand for lack of a better term. I didn't mean to create a ruckus over the terminology. Perhaps it is a "ball storage tube" or something like that. I figured that the tube could be used as a wand in the routine and also used to intermittently hide/store/retrieve balls, but perhaps not. Please forgive the confusion.

Note however, I'm still looking for a set of these with the routine and the "whatever it is..."
:D

Thanks,
tr

Postby Pete Biro » 05/04/02 12:44 PM

OK, the Platt set came with a bag, several cork balls and a metal tube on a stand that fit INSIDE the bag. It was built in such a way as to hold the balls (inside) and as you took one, palming or bringing out in view, the next ball would roll down and stop, ready to be gotten.

It took me YEARS to finally find one.

I guess one could make up copies?

:confused: :eek:
Stay tooned.
Pete Biro

Postby Guest » 05/04/02 12:58 PM

Pete,
Interesting and informative. Guess I will wait <potentially> years to find a complete set also. Thanks!
tr

Postby Guest » 05/04/02 03:28 PM

Both Biro and Olsen will be at my BIG Magic Jamboree May 31, and June 1, plus 200 other magic freaks dealiing in all sorts of plunder,,I have the old Platt routine around here somewhere, if I can find it I will bring it to the Jamboree,,,ya all come..if you dont have a application, I am happy to send you one,,stankramien@yahoo.com

Postby George Olson » 05/04/02 04:30 PM

Pete has a copy of the routine in the set he sells, I think. I've seen Johnny do his routine many many times. He helped all of us in a teen-age magic club in Chicago in the 50's; as did Bill Baird, and the entire Chicago gang. One thrill was watching Tenkai at an old IBM meeting then.

One fellow in particular, Harold Stone, did a magnificent routine using Indian Temple Bells that he ground off the claws. Last I knew he lived in Alameda, CA. I aked him once to commit his routine to paper, but he said he's always imporving it (after 50 years! :o )
George Olson

Postby Michael Edwards » 05/05/02 05:44 AM

Originally posted by Thimblerig:
OK, OK..."Ball producing wand" is my term. The Platt Cups and Balls set came with a hollow wooden (I think) tube (wand) for ball storage. I called it a ball producing wand for lack of a better term. I didn't mean to create a ruckus over the terminology. Perhaps it is a "ball storage tube" or something like that. I figured that the tube could be used as a wand in the routine and also used to intermittently hide/store/retrieve balls, but perhaps not. Please forgive the confusion.

Note however, I'm still looking for a set of these with the routine and the "whatever it is..."
:D

Thanks,
tr
For the record: The Johnny Platt ball dropper is made of metal not wood. It's really a hollow metal tube (painted black) about 8 inches in length and an inch in diameter with a two inch opening at one end allowing the balls to be easily accessed. It is attached to a curved metal piece about three inches in length and two inches in width. This acts as a stand keeping the tube at a 45 degree angle so that the balls will automatically slide down the tube and rest at the opening (that's why it's termed a ball dropper and not just a ball tube :D ). The balls don't slide out of the tube because the metal is turned up at that end acting as a stopper. Rather, they sit at the opening allowing the magician to steal them at the proper point in his/her routine. The size and shape of the apparatus would certainly prevent it from being used as a wand. I hope this helps.

Michael Edwards
Michael Edwards

Postby Guest » 05/05/02 07:02 AM

In reply to Mr. Biro's Question.

A ball producing wand is a variation of the old card in egg wand. Made from brass chrome tips and black center. Works well with the Goshmen Supersoft. Or with the smaller regular sponge balls.

Reesman

Postby Guest » 05/05/02 12:33 PM

You guys are getting me all stirred up now to rummage through all of this plunder to find any Johnny Platt things I have..Platt was a big fan of mine,,when I uwsed to bring my show to the castle,,he was always in the front row,,usually several nights during the run,,also when I brought my BIG show to the Variety Arts Theatre for Milt, and Bill,,Johnny was in the front row..I never failed to introduce him to the audiene, and referred to him as my father,,if you saw us side by side,,me 6'3,,and of course little Johnny it was very funny. Loved him very much,,he was a great artist.

Postby Jim Riser » 05/05/02 04:30 PM

Michael;
Thanks for the info on the ball tube. Why don't I know these things? I must spend too much time in the shop :eek:

I think I'll turn myself a set of Platt style hindu cups and a make a ball tube to play with while on vacation in June. It could be interesting and will keep me out of trouble. Cork balls, right?

Do you know where Johnny Platt kept the ball tube while performing? Next to him under the table? On his chair? In his lap?

Again, thanks for the info.
Jim
Jim Riser

Postby Michael Edwards » 05/05/02 05:25 PM

Jim:

Yes, cork balls. The photos on both your historic cups webpage and your Indian cups webpage give a good view of the tube and how it delivers the balls.

Michael
Michael Edwards

Postby Jim Riser » 05/05/02 06:51 PM

Michael;
Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh, he says red faced :o ..........I really ought to get out of the shop sometime and look at my own web pages :D

Yes, that's a good picture of them. It's been too long since I assembled the various cup pages! I've made and handled a ton of cups since then. That set (including the ball tube) is certainly easy enough to make.

Thanks for the reminder.

Now, where did he keep the ball tube in use?
Jim
Jim Riser

Postby George Olson » 05/05/02 10:17 PM

In the bag on his right side when he sat cross-legged on the floor.

Check pout the routine, he was "in and out of the bag" often.

George
George Olson

Return to Collector's Marketplace