Russian Magicians

Discuss general aspects of Genii.

Postby Guest » 03/26/02 03:38 AM

Hello all, I was in Moscow recently and saw a street magician put a nail up his nose and knock it in with a hammer, how on earth did he do this?, is it just the shape of his inner nose or has he got a little trick with the nail?

I would also like to know if there is any famous stories about Russian magicians, using nails in particular, something that might have gone wrong once or maybe something out of the extraodinary which can involve even more bizzare acts with nails?,

thanks for your time
tom

Postby Guest » 03/26/02 05:09 AM

The nail up the nose effect is in Strong Magic by Andrew Mayne.

Postby Rennie » 03/26/02 07:17 AM

The nail up the nose is not a trick, you can see it on Todd Robbins sideshow video as well as eating a lightbulb and other weird sideshow feats, I'm not sure who sells it though if interested I can check this evening for you..
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve is not !!
Rennie

Postby Matthew Field » 03/26/02 07:23 AM

The sideshow video is available from Stevens Magic Emporium. The most famous of the nailk-up-nosers was the late, great Melvin Burkhart, the original "Human Blockhead."

Matt Field
Matthew Field

Postby Brian Morton » 03/26/02 06:19 PM

The "Human Blockhead" Act is also written up in Swami/Mantra. And any of the sideshow type stunts (as they are not necessarily "tricks") need great care when performing -- and should be best learned through apprenticeship, as opposed to just reading a book and "giving it a shot."

Todd Robbins recently posted something on the Usenet newsgroup alt.magic on a Sideshow Class at Coney Island where they will be giving professional instruction on the sideshow arts, culminating in performances in front of real Coney Island crowds.

brian :cool:

[ March 26, 2002: Message edited by: Brian Wendell Morton ]
Brian Morton

Postby Guest » 03/27/02 09:33 AM

Has anybody else read "Memoirs of a sword swallower" by Daniel P. Mannix ?

Return to General