Albo Volume V Reprint?

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.

Postby magicam » 08/19/05 12:09 AM

Hi Folks:

In connection with my bibliographical work on Robert Albos publications, Id be oh so grateful if any of you who purchased Bobs reprint (yes, reprint) of Volume V (aka Still Further Classic Magic with Apparatus) would contact me. Or maybe you know somebody with a copy of the reprint who wouldnt mind helping me with some book details. Bob reprinted Volume V shortly after the first printing sold out in 1984/1985.

Why am I asking? Because Im in the midst of concluding the bibliographical documentation of Bobs works and now need to spread my queries beyond local fellow collectors, all of whom have copies of the first printing. I believe the first and second printings look nearly identical, but want to be sure by confirming that with second printing owners who have the paperwork proof that they bought a second printing. I know that Byron Walker sold a number of copies of the reprint, but it is likely that Albo sold the rest directly to the purchasers. He probably contacted these second printing owners by letter.

Many thanks in advance,

Clay
MEMINISSE MAGICAM
magicam

Postby Brad Henderson » 08/19/05 10:24 AM

Really???? The notion of a reprint is kind of disappointing. I thought vol 5 was, at one time, the most desirable because there were the fewest copies extant. Do you know the numbers of each printing?

Thanks,

Brad
Brad Henderson

Postby magicam » 08/19/05 11:47 AM

Brad:

Even with the reprint, I think that Volume V still has the lowest (combined) print run for the first 8 volumes. Obviously, Volume XI with its 300 copy print run, now takes the cake for the most limited edition from the series.

Clay
magicam

Postby Larry Miller » 08/20/05 07:36 AM

Clay:
I have a 2d edition of Vol.5.bought from Byron Walker.
What would you like to know?
Please respond to:
LMiller341@webtv.net
Larry Miller

Postby magicam » 08/20/05 08:12 AM

Lawrence:

Many thanks for responding. I'll e-mail you with my questions.

I'd still like to hear from others who have a second printing as I need to check multiple copies

Again, my thanks in advance for your help.

Clay
magicam

Postby magicam » 08/23/05 07:49 PM

Okay, yes, we are all busy, my query probably seems [very] trivial to most people, and nobody owes me any favors.

That said, the process of putting together a good and reliable bibliography requires perhaps the greatest of collective efforts of the magic community. A bibliography is only as good as the books inspected by the compiler; thus, a compiler is extremely dependent on the community. Its a thankless task to respond, I know, but your help would be greatly appreciated (small compensation, but thats about all a compiler of modest means can offer!).

Think about this: many of you have purchased Volume 1 of The Historians Guide to Conjuring (Redux), and so far virtually every comment Ive received has been favorable and full of praise (for which I am grateful and I thank you). If your praise is any indication, that means you will probably be purchasing subsequent volumes. The better quality input I have, the better the quality of subsequent volumes!

I may be pissing in the wind here, but if I dont keep asking, Im not doing one of the critical jobs of a compiler.

Thanks for your help in advance or at the very least, thanks for reading.

Clay
magicam

Return to Magic History and Anecdotes