Diego's fine article

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.

Postby Guest » 08/10/04 08:46 PM

Just catching up on my reading of the other magic magazine, and discovered an article by Diego Domingo.

Diego was chasing down materials on a mentalist from the '30s named Webster, the Man Who Knows. He found Webster's son, who had possession of several trunks worth of material but had not looked at the material in all the intervening years.

A fascinating question occurred while I read the article.

Turns out that Webster came to this teenage girl's town, and Webster ended up courting her and then marrying her, even though he was constantly on the road. And then in the story, a fascinating detail was brought up: Webster didn't tell his wife that he was a trickster, not a real mindreader, until after they were married!

Wow! Now that's a detail that I wanted to know more about!

Diego, perhaps you can shed some more light on this aspect of the story.

A woman marries a guy thinking he has a connection with The Other World. She gets all starry eyed over his omnipotence. Then he turns out to be, dare I say, impotent? A fraud? How does that affect the marriage? Was she bitter about this fact? After all, those were the days when you made one choice for marriage, and if it turned out to be a bad choice, you were stuck!

Diego, fill us in, if you please.

Postby Guest » 08/11/04 10:56 AM

David,
Glad you liked the article.

The story about not learning the complete origins of Webster's powers, until after they were married, is the family story, which Webster's widow told an interviewer, years later.

Reading the correspondence they had, while Webster was on the road, it is evident their feelings for each other, were much more personal, the origins of Webster's powers not the focus as much as their regard to each other.

How did she react? We can't say, but she soon was helping him in his endeavors and they had a happy stable life together...not easy when one or both are on the road.

Again, their feelings for one another seemed to be the most important factor.

If you read another thread in this Forum, there is discussion on how many women don't need/want to know the secrets, when men HAVE to know the secrets. Maybe it wasn't as important as magician-thinking dictates it is.

I know of a psychic entertainer/reader who was doing readings at a club and after doing a reading for one woman, someone who knew her, told the reader, "You might like knowing each other better, here is her phone#.
He called and they eventually began dating regularly.
In time, he felt if the relationship would continue/grow, he wanted to base it on more than if she thought he had any special powers, and honesty was needed to continue.

He invited her over and made dinner and said he wanted her to watch a movie, and he played the movie, "Nightmare Alley", about a carnival magician who becomes known as a psychic/mentalist, but still using tricks to accomplish his feats.

After the movie, he said, "That is me, I don't believe any of this occult stuff, this is what I do to make a living." "Some sell Cadilacs, but drive Fords."

She shrugged her shoulders saying, "A lot of people don't believe in what they are doing or selling.", and it was clear his lack of powers was not a factor for the person she liked.
Later, she was incredulous that he was so delusional, to think she would base a serious relationship on someone's psychic powers!

Return to Magic History and Anecdotes