Robert Stencil

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.

Postby Mike Rose » 02/11/02 10:24 AM

In doing research on the Chop Cup, I found a reference in one of the Tommy Wonder books that Robert Stencil actually created the technique of loading a jumbo ball into a cup in the middle of the table using a handkerchief as cover. This was written up (various times) as an integral part of the Larry Jennings Chop Cup Routine, and implied that it was Jennings'. Does anyone know about the Robert Stencil original technique and where and if it was published? Perhaps Ron Wilson may have some information on this, as he influenced Jennings Chop Cup work? Thanks. Mike Rose
Mike Rose

Postby Richard Kaufman » 02/11/02 03:49 PM

Mike, I spoke with Bob Stencel (NOT Stencil) about this very subject some years ago. His exact words were that he and Larry Jennings worked out the final load technique together at Stencil's kitchen table.
That is the only time that Stencel has made any comments that I know of on the subject, and he made them directly to me.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine
Richard Kaufman

Postby Mike Rose » 02/11/02 04:16 PM

Richard: Thank you for the information, and the correct spelling of Stencel (his name was misspelled in, "The Books of Wonder - Volume II" as, "Stencil."). Do you know if Bob felt he should have been given credit in the write-up of the Jennings routine? I just was wondering what the motivation might have been for the mention in "The Books of Wonder," maybe Tommy Wonder (or Stephen Minch, the co-author) had heard something from him?
Mike Rose

Postby Richard Kaufman » 02/11/02 09:06 PM

Bob Stencel has never cared a whit about credit, and he didn't care a fig about the lack of credit in the Jennings Chop Cup Routine. The Jennings routine was actually Larry's handling of a Ron Wilson routine (not identical as Ron has claimed), so the credits for the Jennings routine are more complex. Why Larry didn't elaborate on them in the original explanation of the routine in Genii I don't know.
The reason this Stencel thing has been publicized is entirely due to the evil influence Ron Bauer exerts in some people in the magic community. Few more destructive and malignant people exist in our field than Ron Bauer, and he has hated Larry Jennings for many years.
Richard Kaufman

Postby Mike Rose » 02/11/02 09:39 PM

Richard: I appreciate you sharing your insight into Stencel and his part in the history of the routine. Thanks a bunch.
Mike Rose

Postby John Pezzullo » 02/12/02 03:25 AM

Richard,

Who has the greater chance of making the front cover of "Genii":

A) Ron Bauer
B) Jeff Busby
C) Deddy Corbuzier

:D
John Pezzullo

Postby Terry » 02/12/02 10:03 AM

"Who has the greater chance of making the front cover of "Genii":"

D) Crimper :rolleyes:
Terry

Postby Richard Kaufman » 02/12/02 02:44 PM

I think it's gotta be Jeff Busby: that caricature he uses for his logo, but I would put it inside a red circle with a diagonal red line across it.
Richard Kaufman

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » 02/12/02 02:53 PM

I second that !! He still has my money for the Barue Notebooks !!
Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Brian Morton » 02/12/02 06:35 PM

You know, with a little judicious editing in Photoshop, the Jeff Busby logo could _be_ Deddy Corbuzier.

Hmmm.....

brian :cool:
Brian Morton

Return to Magic History and Anecdotes