Ambitious Onibus

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.

Postby Guest » 10/01/07 03:03 PM

If someone was to ask. Ambitious card routine whas the effect? I'd like to know how Daryl defines the effect? I think its in this book, however I don't own a copy.Could some share this for me? Thanks for your time.Jeremy

Postby Guest » 10/01/07 03:37 PM

Jeremy,
In the Intro to "Daryl's Ambitious Card Omnibus", Stephen Minch says, "...the Ambitious Card is a classic trick--one of the most popular card effects of all time. Since its invention, an impressive amount of paper has been spent on the card that rises, time after time, to the top of the pack".
He seems to assume readers of that book are already familiar with the plot as he doesn't describe it further.

"Dai Vernon's Ambitious Card" appears on page 76 of "The Stars of Magic". There, the effect is described as follows:
"A card is repeatedly placed into the center of a pack and caused to jump invisibly to the top or bottom. Whenever the spectator thinks he is following the magician's actions, he nevertheless finds that he has been completely bewildered."

Now, if you're asking how Daryl frames and presents the effect, that is another thing entirely... ;)

Postby Guest » 10/01/07 03:46 PM

wow, that was fast, I thought maybe it was that book, Is there another place where Daryl defines the effect?
Thanks again for your time.
Jeremy

Return to Magic History and Anecdotes