Lie Detector Source

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.

Postby Jon Allen » 06/01/07 04:36 PM

Can any learned card man tell me who came up with the Lie Detector effect? I'm talking about asking 3 or 4 questions and dealing a card for each letter of the answers to arrive at the chosen card.

Thanks in advance.
Jon Allen

Postby Max Maven » 06/01/07 05:01 PM

The general plot concept (sans spelling) was proposed by Vincent Dalban in The Jinx in 1934.

The card-spelling version was created by Martin Gardner and published in 1937 in Joe Berg's booklet "Here's New Magic."
Max Maven

Postby Jon Allen » 06/01/07 06:10 PM

Thanks Max.

Someone is helping to sell their services by teaching the trick to older kids after their show. Personally I think it sucks that such a good trick should be exposed in this way. I don't know the exact details of their approach so it may be a variation but the effect is the same.

I'm assuming it's not a 'public domain' effect ripe for this use?
Jon Allen

Postby Guest » 06/02/07 01:48 AM

Jon, While not teaching the trick would be preferable, you will find the older kids won't be able to do it anyway.

Some years ago I was asked to give a talk on magic to gifted children and as part of it I decided to teach them a simple self-working card trick. I wrote to a playing card manufacturer who donated a couple of dozen decks. The trick was based on a simple force.

The ages were eight to fourteen - and these were Mensa type kids. Only one of them could grasp the concept and that was the eight year old.

Now you could explain it away by saying I have terrible teaching skills but I think the bottom line is that even if they do grasp it, they will have forgotten it the next day.

And who knows, it is possible one of them might develop an interest in magic.

Return to Magic History and Anecdotes