Interesting pictures of magicians

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.

Postby Guest » 11/28/06 04:45 PM

Those of you interested in seeing some interesting historical pictures of magicians might want to check out:

http://www.pictureaustralia.org/apps/pi ... icians.+--

Enjoy.
Jim

Postby Pete Biro » 11/28/06 05:28 PM

How the heck did you find that awesome site. Thanks, ol' pal. :cool:
Stay tooned.
Pete Biro

Postby Guest » 11/28/06 05:44 PM

What's amusing about this site is that they claim reproduction rights on all pictures, including publicity stills handed out by professionals.

Postby Guest » 11/28/06 09:04 PM

Without joining an argument about whether or not they should own the reproduction rights, I'll say that the bulk of the magic photos on this site are the contents of the Will Alma Conjuring Collection in the State Library of Victoria (Australia). If you search on "Levante" you'll find a number of invaluable photos which were used in my book published by Mike Caveney's Magic Words. The library was very cooperative in allowing me use of the photos, which I hadn't found anywhere else, and I don't recall paying anything except the cost of the photographic prints. It's good to see that this magic collection, which was feared would disappear into a black institutional hole, is readily accessible.

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » 11/28/06 09:26 PM

Originally posted by Kent Blackmore:
...the bulk of the magic photos on this site are the contents of the Will Alma Conjuring Collection in the State Library of Victoria (Australia). If you search on "Levante" you'll find a number of invaluable photos which were used in my book published by Mike Caveney's Magic Words. The library was very cooperative in allowing me use of the photos, which I hadn't found anywhere else, and I don't recall paying anything except the cost of the photographic prints.
The folks at the State Library of Victoria have also been very helpful in my research into Nate Leipzig. If you have an interest in a particular magician, you should contact them, as they have many more files than just the pictures you see on the site.

-Jim
Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Guest » 11/29/06 12:29 AM

That is an amazing find! Thank you so much for sharing.

Richard, will there ever be a book on the photographs of magicians?
I have one but a bit old. I think a collection of their publicity photos would be awesome.
Maybe someone like Pete biro could do a talk on that at the next History conference.

Cheers!
Damon

Return to Magic History and Anecdotes