L. Voz Lyons

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.

Postby Guest » 03/29/07 04:02 PM

Hi all,

I have recently become interested in the work of L. Voz Lyons (L. Vosburgh Lyons) and would appreciate if some of the more knowledgable magicians could help me out. He was a psychiatrist (and occasional illustrator) who published many sneaky tricks (and puzzles) in the 30s, 40s and 50s. He has published some great stuff in places such as IBIDEM, The Jinx and The Phoenix. It is all very clever, often with a mathematical bent...

Sadly, I have never heard or read anything about him. Does anyone know where else he has been published? - I have checked the GENII archive and have found nothing by him there. Did he ever publish any books? My research so far suggests he didn't - but I would love to be proved wrong.

I will tag on one more very specific question. In the 'Back Room' column in Issue 278 ('The Phoenix' April 3 1953 pg. 1113) - The editor, Bruce Elliot, mentions that L. Voz Lyons has come up with "a bizarre bit of thinking indeed". It is a method that Lyons had discovered for doing the Afghan Bands (Mobius Strip) without a twist in the strip of paper. Very intriguing! Does anyone know if this ever made it into print?

All the best,

Joe

PS. What does the L. stand for - Laurie? Lindon? Leonard?

Postby Guest » 03/29/07 05:30 PM

L. Vosburgh Lyons M.D (1892-1976), a New York neuro-psychiatrist with a variety of interests.

See here for some non-magic writing: http://www.pep-web.org/document.php?id=paq.014.0573a

Here for something on math as reported by Martin Gardner: http://www.maa.org/mathland/mathtrek_05_23_05.html

Postby Geno Munari » 03/29/07 07:30 PM

He was very interesting and indeed a talent. He was the inventor of the Linking Pins.

It is very interesting that this topic has been brought to this forum. There are so many magicians and thinkers that we have ZERO info on.
Geno Munari

Postby Guest » 03/30/07 12:18 AM

He did the illustrations for Bruce Elliot's "Magic as a Hobby" and had a few effects in there too, although I believe the material in this book was taken from Jinx and Phoenix magazines.

Magic as a Hobby

The Afghan Bands thing sounds very interesting.

Return to Magic History and Anecdotes