George the Supreme Master of Magic

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.

Postby Jess Cone » 02/22/08 04:43 PM

Hello One and All, I hope this is the correct area to ask this question. I've been attempting to resaerch in my own history of magic books and online for historical/ biographical information on this stage magician. I have a George Poster reproduction and want to learn more about him as I'd never come across his name before in my readings. I'm guessing some of you out there can help me. Thanks.
Jess Cone

Postby Charles McCall » 02/24/08 03:24 PM

See David Price's "Magic: A Pictorial History of Conjurers in the Theater" for an account of George's altercation with Thurston. That may help explain why you have trouble finding material in English.
Charles McCall
Charles McCall

Postby Leonard Hevia » 02/25/08 04:58 PM

I remember reading an article about George in Stan Allen's Magic a number of years ago. One of his posters was used as a decorative prop in a sitcom, and magicians noticed. I think Mike Caveney may have written that article...
Leonard Hevia

Postby hugmagic » 02/25/08 09:12 PM

George was originally from Zanesville, Ohio. I recall a nice article years ago in the local papers about him. A google search should turn up more information.

Richard
Richard Hughes
www.hughesmagic.com
hugmagic

Postby Bill Mullins » 02/26/08 10:03 AM

From the Lima OH _News_, 9/22/1922:
George's spectacular masterpiece, "The Lion and the Hussar," in which a magnificent African lion mysteriously appears, brought forth many expressions of wonder from the audience. This feature alone stamps George as without a rival in his line.

"The Dream in Midair of the Egyptian Princess" was another effect that passed in kaledoscopic [sic] review before the wondering crowds.
Bill Mullins

Return to Magic History and Anecdotes