Thurston Souvenir Coin

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.

Postby Guest » 07/03/03 04:12 PM

I paid a visit to my local coin dealer recently. He recently took in a Thurston Souvenir Coin and had set it aside for me.

On the "head" side is a bust of Thurston and the text "Thurston-Magician". On the "tail" side is a scarab sort of figure and the text"Good Luck-1929".

It is approximately the size of a US quarter and appears to be copper.

Do any of you have any information on how these coins were distributed, or have any other information.

Steve V., who posts at Magic Talk, told me I would get more information at this site.

Thanks for any information.........

Mark Ross

Postby Guest » 07/03/03 06:29 PM

Funny you should ask....Just earlyer tonight I was looking at Sparks collectable list and he has one listed and pictured. The URL is www.GranHoudini.com . Take a peek..... :eek: ...Mike:

Postby Guest » 07/03/03 08:23 PM

They show up on Ebay all the time, quite common,,infact there is one on Ebay right now...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... tegory=427

I paid way too much when I purchased mine many years ago :(

Postby Guest » 08/20/03 03:32 PM

I know this is an old post, but I was just looking around and found the site. I have had one of the Thurston coins since childhood, they used to be a show give away. I am not sure if he did a trick with them, or just tossed them. Someone in my family must have attended a show and kept the coin as a souvenir, maybe even his last show, since I am from the town he died in.

Postby Andrew Martin Portala » 09/10/03 05:56 PM

Kenna Thompson might have some coins.
Andrew Martin Portala

Return to Magic History and Anecdotes