Harlan Tarbell Biography

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.

Postby Guest » 11/28/04 12:55 PM

I don't have access to Tarbell 7. I am updating the 'Dr. Harlan Tarbell' entry on imdb.com; can anyone briefly tell me the exact date and place of Tarbell's birth and death? I only know that his dates are 1890 to 1960.

Postby Michael Edwards » 11/28/04 01:33 PM

Whaley has this info as born in Delavan, Illinois on 23 February 1890 and died 15 June 1960. George Boston, writing in Genii, notes the same date of his passsing and adds that the time of his death was 5am. The obituary in M-U-M, however, gives the date of his death as June 16th. At the time of his death, according to that obituary he had been hospitalized at the Hines Veterans Hospital in Hines, Illinois. Writing in his Art of Deception, Chuck Romano uses the June 16th date but says that Hines Veterans Hosital is in Chicago. The UPI obituary that was filed June 17, 1960 also had the June 16th date. Frances Marshall's tribute in The Linking Ring says he passed away at 5am on June 16th and that the hospital was "near" Chicago.
Michael Edwards

Postby Guest » 11/28/04 04:49 PM

Thanks very much for the quick reply.

Postby Guest » 11/28/04 04:53 PM

The Edward Hines Jr. VA Medical Center is located in the town of Maywood, Illinois, twelve miles west of downtown Chicago.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I'll have to add that to my errata page for The Art of Deception.

Postby Guest » 11/28/04 04:59 PM

Any final clarification if Tarbell died on June 15th or 16th, anyone?

Postby Guest » 11/28/04 05:07 PM

Harlan Tarbell is listed as the director of "Buck Rogers in the 25th Century" on imdb.com, but I recall seeing a photo of Dr. Tarbell in some science fiction costume. Did Dr. Tarbell also act in that film, or some other science fiction film?

Postby George Olson » 11/28/04 05:09 PM

Harlins niece lives here in Portland and has stopped by my venue a couple times. Really interesting. I think she told me his daughter lives in the San Francisco Bay area.

If you want, I'll try to find her number in my files. (We've moved and I got boxes to go throught yet.)

I believe her name is "Sally ...?"

GO
George Olson

Postby Guest » 11/28/04 05:25 PM

Please let me know if you can find her number. My e-mail address is DaiBatoKornberg@juno.com; and thanks for your offer.

Postby Michael Edwards » 11/28/04 05:33 PM

Originally posted by Bato:
...I recall seeing a photo of Dr. Tarbell in some science fiction costume. Did Dr. Tarbell also act in that film, or some other science fiction film?
Indeed he did. Wearing a bald cap, glasses and a moustache, he played the part of Dr. Huer. By the way, Bill McIlhany presented the eight-minute film as part of his lecture "Dr. Harlan Tarbell, Film Star" on the opening evening of the 6th Los Angeles Conference on Magic History in November of 1999. Subsequent photos of Doc Tarbell in costume appeared in both Genii (Volume 63, Number 1, January 15, 2000) and MAGIC (Volume 9 Number 5, January 2000).
Michael Edwards

Postby Guest » 11/28/04 09:24 PM

This question has been driving me crazy all night, but I finally found my source! I had to tear my files apart, but I knew I had it somewhere.

When I was researching my book I contacted the Elmhurst Historical Museum.

The following information came from Tarbell's obit on 6/23/60 in the Elmhurst Press:

"Funeral services for Dr. Harlan E. Tarbell, internationally famous magician and mentalist, were held Saturday at 11 a.m. in Suburban Funeral Home, Maywood, by the Rev. Otto Bassler of Waterloo, Ia.

A 34-year resident of Elmhurst, Dr. Tarbell lived at 401 Cottage Hill av. He died June 16 in Hines hospital at the age of 70."

Mystery solved and now I can go to bed.

Postby Guest » 11/28/04 11:57 PM

Thanks, Mr. Romano, for finding that out for me. I have put it on the imdb.com site; it will take a few days to get processed.

If anyone else out there has information on the filmography of magicians and can e-mail any film info about them to me, I will put any and all verifiable info up on the imdb ASAP.

For instance, Dai Vernon has no mention on the imdb, yet I know that he was on TV numerous times, including the Dick Cavett show with Doug Henning in the 70s, because I was in the studio audience at the time.

Postby magicam » 11/29/04 10:16 AM

Bato: this may or may not be helpful, but check out A Tarbell Scrapbook compiled by Richard Kaufman and published in 1993 in a limited edition of 100 numbered copies.
magicam

Postby Jon Racherbaumer » 11/29/04 12:25 PM

In addition, check out HARLAN TARBELL: Creator of Magic and Magicians (1993) by Eugene E. Gloye - Abracadabra Press, limited to 250 copies.

I saw Tarbell frequently around town, including at the Christian Science church. I walked to his house often in Elmhurst...mostly to genuflect.

Onward...
Jon Racherbaumer

Postby Guest » 11/29/04 01:33 PM

Thank you both, but since both these books were published in such limited quantities, I do not have access to either title.

Postby magicam » 11/29/04 02:23 PM

You're in luck with one of these titles, Bato! Try contacting John Cannon of Aladdin Books at aladdinbooks@earthlink.net. I think he has a few copies left of the Gloye book (only 250 numbered and signed copies were printed and it is a fine piece of book-making to boot, done by my old friend, the late Dick Buffum of Abracadabra Press). Mention my name and a price of $35. Clay
magicam

Return to Magic History and Anecdotes