Invisible Transfer

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.

Postby Craig Matsuoka » 07/18/02 10:50 AM

Can anyone point me toward any provenance research concerning Vernon's "Invisible Transfer" move?

The reason I ask, is that there's a trick of Nelson Hahne printed in Hull & Hahne's collaborative booklet "Modernism in Pasteboard" (1930). I think it's called "The Stop Trick". The method Hahne describes to secretly load the bottom card of the deck onto a dealt pile seems very similar to the Invisible Transfer. The only difference is that the card to be transferred is not kanted as in Vernon's handling. Hahne simply sidejogs the card to the right. Otherwise, the moves are identical. Curiously, Hahne doesn't credit the idea. I don't think he claimed it either.

Should Hahne be included with Vernon in the development of the move?
Craig Matsuoka

Postby Richard Kaufman » 07/18/02 12:06 PM

Craig,
The so-called Vernon Transfer Move is not Vernon's, nor did he claim it. It comes from the gaming table. What Vernon added was the angling of the bottom card so it can be held solely between the thumb and pinky tips.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine
Richard Kaufman

Postby Gary » 07/21/02 11:52 AM

In some notes that I have, Charlie Miller referred to this as Walter Scott's transfer move, so I suspect that Vernon maybe got it from Walter Scott.
Gary

Return to Magic History and Anecdotes