Montreal magician from the 80's: Aladdin?

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.

Postby Guest » 04/07/06 09:10 AM

Hi,

Does anyone remember a local Montreal magician that went by the name of Aladdin? At least, I believe that was his name. He was fairly bald and looked to be in his late 50s early 60s. I recall a poster of him at the local magic shop. He was making an odd look, almost a grimace and he was posing with an assistant.

I saw him when I was 12 at a birthday party in the late 80s and he pointed me to the local magic shop which began my interest in magic.

I would love to know more about him. I think that he is now deceased. Any one else heard of him?

Thank you.

Postby Jim Patton » 04/07/06 10:28 AM

Might you be referring to JOHNNY Alladin? He made frequent appearances on the old KTLA (LA) Spade Cooley Show back in the fifties...Featured pick pocketing and sleight of hand magic. Had a good ring on stick routine, as memory serves.
I met him years later at the Magic Castle. At that time (around 1988 or so) he would have been in his late sixties or early seventies and was balding. Really a nice guy.
Jim Patton

Postby David Acer » 04/07/06 10:58 AM

Hi Jim,

The Aladdin Pierredan is referring to wouldn't be known to the international community, but was popular locally (i.e., around Montreal) in the seventies and eighties. He passed away a few years ago, but I'm told his son has an interest in magic.
Now tweeting daily from @David_Acer
David Acer

Postby Guest » 04/07/06 11:10 AM

Jim,

Thank you.

David,

Do you remember the poster that I was talking about? It used to hang over the front door inside Perfect Magic.

Aladdin really made an impression on me. He took the time to talk with me after the Birthday party show I attended and showed me how to vanish a sponge ball.

He ignited my interest in magic.

Is there anything more you could share with me about him? Was he a full time pro? Are there any pictures of him on the web or in any magic books?

Thanks.

Postby David Acer » 04/07/06 11:44 AM

Hi Pierredan,

As far as I know, Alladin was a performing hobbiest, not a full-time pro, and I doubt there is any information about him in books or on the web. You might try contacting Phil Matlin at Perfect Magic (www.perfectmagic.com) to find out more - Alladin was a regular on his "Performers Platform" shows every Saturday at the shop, along with Mehdi, Romaine, and a very young Richard Sanders.
Now tweeting daily from @David_Acer
David Acer

Postby Guest » 04/07/06 03:00 PM

I knew Aladdin very well from about 1968...he was a neighbor of ours and was very encouraging when I showed interest in magic in the mid 70's. If I recall he sponsored my membership to the S.A.M. back in the 70's. During college years I had to write a profile of someone I considered influential and he was my choice. He was very pleased with the article and gave me his copy of the Dai Vernon Book of Magic as a gift which I have to this day. He used to do a lot of school shows and the occasion guestspot on French television in Montreal ....

Return to Magic History and Anecdotes