Nate Leipzig

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » 06/20/03 11:26 AM

I'm looking for any information you folks can give me on Nate Leipzig. I have the Leipzig book (Vernon's Tribute to Nate Leipzig), but I'd be interested in any additional information out there. Old programs, posters, magazines, newspapers, letters, etc?

I've always been somewhat interested in Leipzig, and I'd love to learn anything I can about him.

Thanks!
-Jim
Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Michael Edwards » 06/20/03 12:25 PM

Jim:

A good starting point would be the six parts of Leipzig's autobiography which you can find on Gary Hunt's wonderful Magical Pasttimes site. Try: http://www.uelectric.com/pastimes/leip1.htm

Michael Edwards
Michael Edwards

Postby Gary » 06/22/03 03:41 PM

This autobiography along with several Leigzig effects was also published in the February 1997 MUM magazine.
Gary

Postby Michael Edwards » 06/26/03 10:41 AM

In fact, the original series ran in MUM almost fifty yers ago...beginning with Volume 43, Number 4, September 1953.
Michael Edwards

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » 06/02/04 12:45 PM

It's been about a year since my original post. I'm still searching for any info that anyone might have available.

My current references on anything Leipzig:

Books
-----
Vernon's Tribute to Nate Leipzig
Stars of Magic
The Amateur Magician's Handbook
The Secret Ways of Al Baker
John Carney's Book of Secrets
(I'm also aware of a booklet called "Thanks to Leipzig" which contains details on a Cards Across routine, based on Leipzig's...I don't have it, though)

Videos
------
Ammar's ETMCM (can't remember the volume, but has the Card Stab)

Magazines
---------
Stanyon's Magic has a number of references

Programs
--------
I have a program on file somewhere that had "Nat Leipzig" as one of the acts. Picked it up off of eBay...kinda nifty, though it's just a small mention.

Misc.
-----
The autobiography that the folks above mentioned.

If anyone has anything at all on Leipzig, please let me know. I've always been surprised that there wasn't more information readily available on Leipzig...from all accounts, he was a fantastic performer as well as a great person. I'd like to learn as much about him as possible.

Thanks all,
Jim
Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Guest » 06/02/04 08:12 PM

Jim,

I have some interesting material related to Leipzig, including several programs, some effects that published in the Sspinx, and some private notes that Frank Csuri transcribed. I'd be happy to discuss the material with you. By the way Larry (Jennings) had a beautiful oil, a portrait, of Leipzig that hung oon his living room wall. I wonder what ever became of it? He told me he traded some plumbing work for it! The story is very interesting...

Best, PSC

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » 06/02/04 08:34 PM

Paul,
I'd be very grateful for info you could share. As I mentioned, I have one program. It's from the E.F. Albee Theatre in Providence, Rhode Island. Date is given as the week of Nov. 14th, no year. He's #5 on a program of 11 performers:

Nat Leipzig
Of International Repute -- "A Young Man to Be Watched"

NOTE: During Mr. Leipzig's act he will call for a committee for the purpose of watching his performances at close range--Mr. Leipzig does not play any tricks or jokes on his committee.

Right now, I've got a couple of bids on some eBay items...two programs and some issues of the Sphinx, one of which is a Leipzig cover.

Thanks in advance for any info. I'm interested in the story about the painting. And I, too, would like to know where it is now.

-Jim
Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » 06/03/04 06:52 AM

I believe I also heard somewhere that there was a short video of him. Anyone know anything about this?

Or what about the film of the coin roll that he used in his performances? Does that still exist?

-Jim
Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Leonard Hevia » 06/10/04 08:36 AM

Hi Jim--There is a short biography of Nate Leipzig in Hyla M. Clark's The World's Greatest Magic. It's a hard text to locate but worth the trouble. It contains wonderful color photos of magic's greats in the 70's as well as those who lived earlier in the century. :)
Leonard Hevia

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » 06/10/04 08:42 AM

Originally posted by Leonard Hevia:
Hi Jim--There is a short biography of Nate Leipzig in Hyla M. Clark's The World's Greatest Magic. It's a hard text to locate but worth the trouble. It contains wonderful color photos of magic's greats in the 70's as well as those who lived earlier in the century. :)
I get the feeling that it's going to be the exact same short biography I've seen about him everywhere else, but thanks. I'll pick it up if I can find it.

-Jim
Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Richard Hatch » 06/10/04 02:00 PM

Originally posted by Leonard Hevia:
Hi Jim--There is a short biography of Nate Leipzig in Hyla M. Clark's The World's Greatest Magic. It's a hard text to locate but worth the trouble.
Used copies in stock at www.magicbookshop.com
Search on "Hyla" and you'll find them.
Richard Hatch

Return to Magic History and Anecdotes